Section 1 FAC - Durham area

mark966

Hi all :)

probably a well worn topic (especially from new members like me) but I was wondering if anyone from the Durham area has any advice on gun cabinet mounting on Thermalite walls? My house is brick outer and thermalite inner and there are very few areas of brick to fit a cabinet.. I would prefer to mount the cabinet in the loft which is also thermalite. From what I can see, the chemical anchor method looks to be better than plugging.

I suppose my question is would the police look at the cabinet and ok it if it was secure or would they just write it off if it was mounted on thermalite bricks? The firearms security handbook is a bit vauge on the subject :)

Thanks

As long as it is securely fastened it will be fine, I moved a few months ago and the new house has thin plaster walls with a gap then breeze blocks/Thermalite then the outer brick wall, I bought extra long 12mm bolts and drilled over-sized holes through the blocks so I could feed the anchors through them and fix into the outside brick, absolutely rock solid. Chemical anchoring should be fine, the usual unofficial test is to open the cabinet door and hang off it!, if it doesn't come away from the wall it'll be OK :)

Having thought about it I don't think they actually tried to move either the gun cabinets or ammo safes when they inspected mine, I opened the doors, showed him the fixings and explained how they were fitted, he was happy with that.

Durham seem to be on top of their applications at the moment, i had a 2 day turnaround for a change of address, but to be fair thats as long as it should take!

I'd expect to get your interview/inspection within 3 weeks of putting your application, and providing you're not asking for anything ridiculous and there's no problems with your background checks get your certificate in 6-7 weeks.

That seems pretty quick. I'm a little ahead of the game as i've got a while before I can apply but want to be sorted out when the time comes. Still looking at what people are bringing to the range but I think I'll go for the 22 semi auto route. Being ex forces I'm drawn to target shooting :) There seems like a fair spread of different kit, there was a guy in the next lane the other night with what looked to be a chromed version of "dirty harrys" magnum. Used some of the clubs 357 rifles but don't like to be disturbed between shots :)

Moved in January ,so had to get a security check done from durham Police. House has thermalite bricks so used Hilti HIT- chemical adhesive injected into the drilled holes, then pushed threaded rod cut to size into adheisive. 20 minutes later solid. No problems with check.

+1

Anchors or sleeved bolts aren't great in thermalite as the blocks can break/crumble when the bolts are tightened, giving a poor hold.

Durham seem to be on top of their applications at the moment, i had a 2 day turnaround for a change of address, but to be fair thats as long as it should take!

I'd expect to get your interview/inspection within 3 weeks of putting your application, and providing you're not asking for anything ridiculous and there's no problems with your background checks get your certificate in 6-7 weeks.

SNAP

Moved house in January, 1 week for the change of address on my SGC, 2 months to get my FAC back while they argued about the conditions for solid slugs (which they'd put on it 6 months earlier). Eventually came back with exactly the same conditions on as when it went in.

Other than that a 2 week wait for background checks for a "variation" on a change of action type (which doesn't have to specified by HO guidance, just Durham being awkward) on a calibre they'd already approved.