Fog on outside of scope

Essex Keeper

Get a lint free cleaning cloth, (the type that comes with some scopes or binos), using one finger in the cloth just touch a bar of soap then gently rub over the lenses. You need only the lightest film on the lenses, try to imagine getting a one molecule layer onto them! As long as the layer stays present they won't mist up again.

The fog is caused by minute droplets of water condensing on the cold glass. I find that my breath causes most of the problem (on my glasses as well on cold nights) but stopping breathing is not really an option.

Either the glass has to be warmer than the surrounding air (not generally practical) or you need to stop the droplets forming by chemical means.

Baby shampoo diluted with water and wiped over the lens works rather well to break down the surface tension. You can also buy commercial "de-fogging" agents.

It's not going from warm to cold that is the problem but cold to warm. Cold scope, warm breath.