Joe Irving

JustJon

I trained my first gun dog last year ( still continuing ) and used Joe Irvings book as a guide. With the little knowledge I has and listening to others advice she seems to have turned out better than expected for my first time. Others may tell you different but in my opinion there is not a lot of difference in the basics what ever bread your training.

My advice would be to use your chosen book as a guide but keep an open mind and always listen to others and see if there advice agrees with what you have in your own mind and implement it accordingly. Don't try too many different variations of ideas though as you'll only confuse both yourself and the dog.

I have trained a lab and a springer using Joe's "Learning Chain" and Spaniel book and I'm currently training a cocker based on the same methods and principles with no problems. Having said that I also take notice to other trainers like Moxon and Mendzies. At the end of the day it's we apply the methods and principles that bring success.

Edited by lee-kinsman

Its hard to train a dog by the book as they all have their little differences and one needs the wit to spot that. I have many books including Joe Irving, its good to read them all or as many as you can but DO WHAT WORKS and ACT ON WHAT YOU SEE. Not everyone is suited to every dog and not every dog is suited to one way, we must remain flexible to a degree in all but our goals.

Hope I didn't confuse the matter too much

Most of the basics are same no matter wot type of dog ur trainig, i used it a lot to train my first lab as well as James douglas's? i think

Must admit i found Joe's books slightly hard to read in places, possibly not as well written as some, But no doubting the content has stood the test off time as a few others have.

As other have said read 1 or 2 books and pick bits from each, many are pretty similar but there is always wee snippetts in each book.

My biggest reccomendation would be to try and join a local gundog club (althou a bad time off year) or try and get along to a group training/demo day with a top trainer, even without ur dog, and just watch and learn. Will learn far more seeing it in the flesh and ask any questions u didn't understand from the books, but the books will give u a vey good basic knowledge