Looks like its finally happened

Pole Star

Well I got a call this morning from a farming friend that rents a cottage & it turns out that some chaps up from south were all arrested yesterday & spent the night in Kirkwall nick ! , details are still not clear so we must not prejudge it .

They had all the ducks they had shot & firearms taken from them as well as a large haul of rabbits , they had no geese but had been trying for them , the news I am getting is still vague but it looks as though they have been some where with out permission ???.

I have been saying on here for a long time that the laws governing shooting are the same here in Orkney as any where else in the UK except the foreshore & that is the land owner owns to the low water mark .

THERE IS NO FREE SHOOTING IN ORKNEY ! YOU NEED PERMISSION FROM THE LAND OWNER .

Its your firearm ticket thats at risk , so ask first !!!! will post any more details as I get them

Edited by Pole Star

I know some guys do venture up to Orkney and knock on a few doors to get permission, but to be honest it is a long way to travel on the off chance you may get permission.

For me a guide is essential as they not only have permission etc but they are actively feeding flight ponds and out spotting where the geese are, so we can ll enjoy so good quality shooting.

I think its a no brainer but each to their own....

Well I got a call this morning from a farming friend that rents a cottage & it turns out that some chaps up from south were all arrested yesterday & spent the night in Kirkwall nick ! , details are still not clear so we must not prejudge it .

They had all the ducks they had shot & firearms taken from them as well as a large haul of rabbits , they had no geese but had been trying for them , the news I am getting is still vague but it looks as though they have been some where with out permission ???.

I have been saying on here for a long time that the laws governing shooting are the same here in Orkney as any where else in the UK except the foreshore & that is the land owner owns to the low water mark .

THERE IS NO FREE SHOOTING IN ORKNEY ! YOU NEED PERMISSION FROM THE LAND OWNER .

Its your firearm ticket thats at risk , so ask first !!!! will post any more details as I get them

Interesting to hear. I was going to ask why people weren't simply arrested for poaching if it was such an issue. But sounds like they are now! Do you think most farmers up there want to see poachers arrested, or do most farmers not really give a stuff who is shooting on their land? I don't understand how Orkney has gotten into a situation where many people seem to thing you can just pitch up and start shooting.

Interesting to hear. I was going to ask why people weren't simply arrested for poaching if it was such an issue. But sounds like they are now! Do you think most farmers up there want to see poachers arrested, or do most farmers not really give a stuff who is shooting on their land? I don't understand how Orkney has gotten into a situation where many people seem to thing you can just pitch up and start shooting.

Strange situation here Piebob when I first moved to Orkney more than 10 years ago hardly anyone shot except a few locals & in a community like this if a flea farts every one hears about it & when the locals wanted to shoot they just walked out the door & went but with the large & ever growing number of visiting shooters( good & bad ) things have changed .

Farmers are now much more aware of things & are more likely to ask questions & if you read my post the other day about some free loaders who drove a farmers cattle through a fence you can see why ! some past him in his tractor & they said the farmer had a face like thunder & who would blame him ! .

Up date on this & this is more of a dog & rabbit&hare issue now & I just had a visit from the farmer next door & the visitors were all above board so the charges are odd , we both had a chat with our good man at SACS & got advice , ether we are being told a porkie some where or the Police have this a little wrong some were :hmm: .

The visitors have so far had their guns & ducks & rabbits taken from them , so watch this space & best if you get a local guide if you come here to shoot & then you will be on land that the guide knows .

Edited by Pole Star

Conflicting reports coming in now so lets see what the papers say , but remember if you come up to Orkney best if you book a local guide & you wont get in any trouble with the local guns or farmers & you certainly wont get caught shooting on RSPB reserves like the one of the none resident so called guides did .

If you go knocking on doors you might not be lucky as things here are rapidly changing . ATB Pole Star .

Edited by Pole Star

two groups apparently been questioned for hare coursing. One lot in at Marwick and the other east somewhere??? all I know just now

I don't know about what happened in the east Chopwylie but I did hear the chaps near me were all above board & all rounders wildfowlers as well as rabbiters ,

reports are conflicting so I am on the fence on this one . But I hope the news is now getting around that Orkney is not a free for all like it was years ago .

Edited by Pole Star

• 3 weeks later...

Article in the Orcadian news paper 24 Oct page 5 headed Wilfowl shooting advice , Orkney islands council has issued a reminder that wildfowlers need permission from the landowners before shooting geese & ducks . This has followed queries from the public asking if access legislation allows people to shoot on land owned by the council or in private ownership in Orkney ect .

At last the penny is has dropped !!! . Remember its a long expensive trip to make to finish up getting arrested & loosing your ticket .

No news on the other case yet but it maybe in todays paper ? . Pole Star

Edited by Pole Star

Always thought anything below the high water mark was crown land not landowners.

Figgy

Different law here Figgy its called Udel law which is law in Orkney & Shetland , strange but thats the way it is so I understand . No locals shoot foreshore here unless its Ok with the land owner , chance it if want to risk it :oops: .

Only a few moments ago I saw a crewcab drive all the way down the lane to some ones land next to mine & then reversed all the way out & then reversed all the way down my lane while 4 chapsin kamo were in & out surveying the land . I called the 3 farmers who own land there & it seems they have not been contacted by anyone so tomorrow morning will be interesting as 2 of the farmers are also shooting farmers & the reply I got was " well their not shooting on my ground " . :hmm: .

Edited by Pole Star