Parenting advice.

karpman

Well not really, more a curiosity and wanting to know.

Wondering what age you started your children on live quarry and such. My boy is 3 1/2 and has seen plenty of "dead" stuff but was wondering if it's the done thing to take him along ferreting this season.

He loves to here about my adventures, and enjoys helping me get my shooting stuff ready coming to the gun shop and just being around dad doing grown up things lol. Now I'm not meaning to age him prematurely.

Maybe I'm thinking to much and should just go with my gut, but would love to hear how you lot handled it.

Got a cracking little we can walk too in 4 to 5 minutes for a bit of ferret and if he gets cold. Mum can soon fetch him back.

Karpman

Started accompanying my dad and granddad pigeon shooting at 6.

Take him for an hour or two and see how he likes it, but don't take him every time, say once every 4 outings, then each time should be an anticipated excitement. If he asks to go, even better.

Excellent advice thank you

Karpman

Well not really, more a curiosity and wanting to know.

Wondering what age you started your children on live quarry and such. My boy is 3 1/2 and has seen plenty of "dead" stuff but was wondering if it's the done thing to take him along ferreting this season.

He loves to here about my adventures, and enjoys helping me get my shooting stuff ready coming to the gun shop and just being around dad doing grown up things lol. Now I'm not meaning to age him prematurely.

Maybe I'm thinking to much and should just go with my gut, but would love to hear how you lot handled it.

Got a cracking little we can walk too in 4 to 5 minutes for a bit of ferret and if he gets cold. Mum can soon fetch him back.

Karpman

My daughter is coming up to six now and has been fishing since she was three and having a wander round the fields (not shooting but I have had the gun with me) for about the same length of time. I've had her out this year when the pheasants have been put out and she's helped feed them and she helps plucking birds and skinning rabbits. She has helped with dead game since she was about the same age as your son. She will be starting to shoot an air rifle soon and when she can hit targets consistently she will be having a go at the rats and ferals. If he's happy handling dead game I would definitely get him out but as Penelope has said, only short outings and not too often. If you're taking him ferreting try and take him to nice open areas where he can see as muck as he can and try and make sure they are productive areas so there is something happening as boredom will soon put him off from going with you. My little girl was more than happy to use the priest on her first fish when she was around 3yrs old so I think your son should be ok. The more they can learn at before they start school the better as there is less chance of them being brainwashed (some schools, some teachers). My daughter is quite proud to go to school and tell the teachers she had pigeon etc for dinner.

IMG_0132_edited_zpsefc5f452.jpg

Edited by r1steele

My step kid came out with me when she was 5. Her stalking abilities left much to be desired with the childrens whisper thingthey do (just speaking normally but whilst straining their voice!)... and her patience at ambushing also not too good... however rough shooting and stuff is great.

She really enjoys being a picker up though so once I have a handful of rabbits she was desperate to get them for me. I ensured however maximum respect in the quarry and explained each time she came with me why I do it. So lots of stuff about how vermin damages crops, predetors harm livestock, etc... so she was taught to respect each thing killed and understand the reason why it was killed.

Help in the grand scheme especially when they discuss it at school etc...

My step kid came out with me when she was 5. Her stalking abilities left much to be desired with the childrens whisper thingthey do (just speaking normally but whilst straining their voice!)... and her patience at ambushing also not too good... however rough shooting and stuff is great.

She really enjoys being a picker up though so once I have a handful of rabbits she was desperate to get them for me. I ensured however maximum respect in the quarry and explained each time she came with me why I do it. So lots of stuff about how vermin damages crops, predetors harm livestock, etc... so she was taught to respect each thing killed and understand the reason why it was killed.

Help in the grand scheme especially when they discuss it at school etc...

Totally agree. If they are told that it is cruel killing fluffy bunnies, they will have the knowledge to defend themselves and possibly educate people at the same time.

Started my boys around the age of 6, they started coming out with me decoying pigeons and then have progressed onto having a .410 and the eldest age 12 now shoots a 12g. They badgered me about taking them out wildfowling this season, so a few weeks ago they came out for there 1st flight.

2013-10-02200659_zpsa3bde30e.jpg

Nice to see.