Decoying patterns

silvermallard

I shoot on a patch of land that has a strip of trees facing onto some potato fields. Finally got together a bit of equipment including some full bodies for the trees, some half shells, and a couple of bouncers.

the pigeons seem to fly the tree line, but do come across the fields quite often.

Any ideas with patterns, layouts, setting up with the wind direction and just general help that could be thrown my way would be appreciated.

Been shooting for a number of years but only recently got more into my pigeon shooting and decoying especially.

i would watch the area and see if there is a specific area of the treeline where the birds are going and look for flight lines, then set up with the tress right behind you with the pattern in front of you in a normal horse shoe pattern- wind granting that is. if not I have found that if the wind is crossing you a good method would be if the wind was blowing right to left then turn the pattern through 90% and with this wind condition move the pattern 20ft left of the flight line. hope that makes sense

Cheers for the replys fellas, will get down nice and early and check out the flight lines then set up accordingly. Had a look at the decoy patterns before and will probably end up using one of them or a variation of one.

Thanks paddymax123 will see where the wind is blowing and definitely set up as said if there is a crosswind!