Croatia Boar 2013

Dunkield

I can only echo the above comments. Another great trip :)

Nothing can prepare you for the feeling you get as you stand poised on your cold, snowy peg. You've been standing there for an hour after a 20 minute hike up the side of a mountain. The electronic ear defenders amplifying every single sound, your senses truly heightened and honed. The distant calls of over-zealous and somewhat enthusiastic beaters draws ever closer. Unmoderated gun fire echoes through the valley and straight into your head. The game is on. Every so often you hear the dogs tracking the scent, their yapping preparing you for a possible target. Your heart beats faster. You're tensing up. The raindrops thunder through your ears, every drip sounds exactly like a wild boar. The snow melts off the branches hitting the leaf-strewn floor, again, the sound of another boar. The caw of a Raven, exactly like a boar. Even your belly rumbling sounds just like a pig charging at you. Everywhere you look and everything you hear, sets your heart racing faster and faster. Then, in the distance, you see a shadow move through the bushes. You hold your breath hearing something crashing through the undergrowth like a train. It's dark and moving fast. You raise your gun, you have waited a long time for this very moment. You track the tank through the dense cover...it's quartering straight for you, you can almost smell it...your heart thumping hard, literally penetrating your chest as you hover your finger over the safety. Your entire body rigid as you pull in front of the beast, gauging its speed and using your periphery to find an appropriate place to take your shot. There is a clearing, you start to press down on the safety as the animal emerges from the cover and into your crosshairs. It's a bloody dog. Not a pig. Your whole body relaxes and visibly go all wobbly. A few muttered words under your breath as the bow-legged dog scampers past oblivious to the fact it was nearly an ounce of lead heavier. Then there's the sounds of a breaking twig, you tense up and listen, your eyes scanning deep into the forest... You repeat the entire process again and again.

It was my third year... I have been lucky each time. This year was 2 pigs and a fox.

Edited by huffhuff

I can only echo the above comments. Another great trip :)

Nothing can prepare you for the feeling you get as you stand poised on your cold, snowy peg. You've been standing there for an hour after a 20 minute hike up the side of a mountain. The electronic ear defenders amplifying every single sound, your senses truly heightened and honed. The distant calls of over-zealous and somewhat enthusiastic beaters draws ever closer. Unmoderated gun fire echoes through the valley and straight into your head. The game is on. Every so often you hear the dogs tracking the scent, their yapping preparing you for a possible target. Your heart beats faster. You're tensing up. The raindrops thunder through your ears, every drip sounds exactly like a wild boar. The snow melts off the branches hitting the leaf-strewn floor, again, the sound of another boar. The caw of a Raven, exactly like a boar. Even your belly rumbling sounds just like a pig charging at you. Everywhere you look and everything you hear, sets your heart racing faster and faster. Then, in the distance, you see a shadow move through the bushes. You hold your breath hearing something crashing through the undergrowth like a train. It's dark and moving fast. You raise your gun, you have waited a long time for this very moment. You track the tank through the dense cover...it's quartering straight for you, you can almost smell it...your heart thumping hard, literally penetrating your chest as you hover your finger over the safety. Your entire body rigid as you pull in front of the beast, gauging its speed and using your periphery to find an appropriate place to take your shot. There is a clearing, you start to press down on the safety as the animal emerges from the cover and into your crosshairs. It's a bloody dog. Not a pig. Your whole body relaxes and visibly go all wobbly. A few muttered words under your breath as the bow-legged dog scampers past oblivious to the fact it was nearly an ounce of lead heavier. Then there's the sounds of a breaking twig, you tense up and listen, your eyes scanning deep into the forest... You repeat the entire process again and again.

It was my third year... I have been lucky each time. This year was 2 pigs and a fox.

Great write up Ben, I was on the edge of my seat.

http://www.hegering-schwelm.de/diejagd/vorhalterechner/index.php

I hope this comes through, it might make you realise how difficult it is.

Good Luck,

Our trip the week before was good fun but just as disappointing pig wise.

However, as someone has already said, it's not all about the killing !! It's more like a works outing with all the lads enjoying themselves !!