I was an abject failure

tonker

As title says, The shoot captain (a friend by the way) asked if I wanted to shoot some pigeons with him on some stubble. In one of the bottom fields at the shoot.

Now as we had been out to my high seat a couple of times with his Win 270 on the Roe (bit of overkill) I thought I'd impress him with my decoying ability.

Got there late, Dentist appointment! Glassed the field for a while and decided to set up different ends of the big field, walked a load of birds off and set both hides and patterns with all my gear.

I thought we were going to be in for a good day. So settled in my hide and thought I'd have a quick cuppa before anything came over, No need to of rushed not a bird did I see for the next three hours and niether did Mike.

One consolation, was that as I sat stock still in my hide I could hear through my lekkie ear defenders a family of birds working their way up the hedge. To my surprise and delight I must add, I was surrounded by a family of long tailed Tits, pretty little birds they are! Non stop chattering and moving, picking specks from the bushes. The one that came the nearest, was I kid you not, not two foot fom my eyes.

Stunning little things and I was frightened to breath not wanting them to go, but as I said non stop moving and off they went without knowing I was there.

Back to scanning the skies, apart from a few what I took to be Exocet missiles nothing to see, Then I noticed the unmistakable jinking flight of a Maggie 100yds out and coming straight for me, how many times have we all seen this only to have them peel off just out of range. He didn't and kept coming!! Up bang and it was as if someone turned the off switch. and he landed centre of pattern as if I placed him there.

Phoned mike and we decided to call it a day as through the glasses he could see birds going in to roost

in the Ivy trees by one of our pens. I then caught a movement in the branches a little way off and saw a squizzer so took that one as well. Not a total waste of time I would willingly be out all day to take a Maggie,' murderous thieving little snots'. But the icing was the Tits. I'll remember that for a time,

So big game hunter and pigeon shooter I'm obviously not.Did I enjoy it yes, would I do it all again tomorrow, without a thought! I reckon I must just have the bug.

Thanks for reading, Steve

Edited by tonker

As title says, The shoot captain (a friend by the way) asked if I wanted to shoot some pigeons with him on some stubble. In one of the bottom fields at the shoot.

Now as we had been out to my high seat a couple of times with his Win 270 on the Roe (bit of overkill) I thought I'd impress him with my decoying ability.

Got there late, Dentist appointment! Glassed the field for a while and decided to set up different ends of the big field, walked a load of birds off and set both hides and patterns with all my gear.

I thought we were going to be in for a good day. So settled in my hide and thought I'd have a quick cuppa before anything came over, No need to of rushed not a bird did I see for the next three hours and niether did Mike.

One consolation, was that as I sat stock still in my hide I could hear through my lekkie ear defenders a family of birds working their way up the hedge. To my surprise and delight I must add, I was surrounded by a family of long tailed Tits, pretty little birds they are! Non stop chattering and moving, picking specks from the bushes. The one that came the nearest, was I kid you not, not two foot fom my eyes.

Stunning little things and I was frightened to breath not wanting them to go, but as I said non stop moving and off they went without knowing I was there.

Back to scanning the skies, apart from a few what I took to be Exocet missiles nothing to see, Then I noticed the unmistakable jinking flight of a Maggie 100yds out and coming straight for me, how many times have we all seen this only to have them peel off just out of range. He didn't and kept coming!! Up bang and it was as if someone turned the off switch. and he landed centre of pattern as if I placed him there.

Phoned mike and we decided to call it a day as through the glasses he could see birds going in to roost

in the Ivy trees by one of our pens. I then caught a movement in the branches a little way off and saw a squizzer so took that one as well. Not a total waste of time I would willingly be out all day to take a Maggie,' murderous thieving little snots'. But the icing was the Tits. I'll remember that for a time,

So big game hunter and pigeon shooter I'm obviously not.Did I enjoy it yes, would I do it all again tomorrow, without a thought! I reckon I must just have the bug.

Thanks for reading, Steve

I have a family that come to my garden each year, around 6-7 of them. They turned up around 2 weeks ago and love sitting in the kitchen watching their antics. Had a couple of bullfinches there this morning to add to the delight :yes: