Question for knife makers

Gimlet

I've just bought a new Boker folder, and very nice it is too. Its got smooth unpolished grey/green micarta scales. They seem to scuff when the knife is withdrawn from its pouch and I reckon they might stain easily or hold dirt. Can I oil or seal them in some way to keep them clean and protect their appearance without making them slippy?

I've just bought a new Boker folder, and very nice it is too. Its got smooth unpolished grey/green micarta scales. They seem to scuff when the knife is withdrawn from its pouch and I reckon they might stain easily or hold dirt. Can I oil or seal them in some way to keep them clean and protect their appearance without making them slippy?

I don't think you could seal them as micarta is usually pretty impervious but it's worth sending a quick pm to feildcrafter- matt (not sure of his exact moniker) as he's made several knives with micarta scales and could probably give you some more informed advice.

Micarta shouldn't hold any dirt and any scuffs should smooth themselves out over time. If you look at a video of how it's made on youtube, just cloth soaked in epoxy resin and clamped until it's dry. The hardened resin is water/dirt proof so you shouldn't need to worry about sealing it, I don't even think oil will really soak in.

1. I may be totally wrong here,but I use a thing on my Motorbike called ACF50.It's an aerosole designed for protecting metal/moving/electrical parts,originally made to protect Harrier Jumpjets on Aircraft carriers.It protects from corrotion,but once on the item,you won't see it.Solvents will remove it,certainly for bikes,it keeps the road salt and wet out for 18 months.If it does all it claims,it really is fantastic.At £13 a tin,it's quite pricey,but will last as long,as do as much as a large tin of WD 40,but leaves behind no oily residue.I collect knives,my personal favourite at the moent is my Marttiini Full tang,curly birch hunting knife.Have a look at those on Google,buy direct from the factory and get upto 25 letters etched in the blade,and a fancy box,simply quality.I have a few Bokers,Precition engineering.

Neil.