Chocolate

Jim Sarakun

I love chocolate, as I am sure many of you do.

My Mother is Swiss and I think my passion for chocolate started when I was very young and she used to go to visit her family in Switzerland and bring home Chocolate, with names like Suchard, Maestrani, Lindt and many more.

It was nothing like Cadbury, Fry's or Bournville which was pretty much all that was available when I was a boy. This Swiss chocolate had hard or soft centres, came in all different shapes, had fruit in and even alcohol.

One of my favourites was a cherry, not a noncy English cherry but a big black forest kind of juicy cherry, though country of origin I have not a clue, with the stalk and pip still intact, surrounded by cherry kirsch, then covered in chocolate. I wondered then and still do, how do they do that?

My Mum used to make me chocolate sandwiches when I was a kid. Thinly sliced Swiss chocolate in a sarnie. She said I would be as strong as a Lion and be able to throw those bales to the top of the stack, just like the men, with my pitch fork. I couldn't, not till I was about nine, though remember well that day I could.

But I have many questions, like how can a simple cocoa bean make something sooo delicious like chocolate?

Can I stay out longer in the hide, in the cold, feeling toasty, unlike my shooting mates, who get cold feet and eventually talk about going home, because I eat chocolate?

Am I wrong to use that sugar rush my kids get from chocolate, by channelling it into cutting the grass, or washing my car?

Chocolate is a bargaining chip. I am nearly 60 and in my time I have used it to placate an employer, even a lover. To make employees more productive, smoothe things over with a supplier, Bank Manager, all kinds of things.

My children are now the beneficiary of my chocolate persuasions. My eldest will do the washing up for a packet of chocolate buttons, all wrong you may think but we are living in a world of hire and reward, though ocassionally the washing up will get done by him for pure love of his parents.

A Thorntons Classic will stop my young lads tears and a bar of white chocolate gives me a hug and a smile from my 5 year old daughter when she is grumpy.

Now you may be thinking that I must be a wheelbarrow to the bath kind of guy, but I am not. My last full medical two months ago told me that I was as fit as a butchers dog. I still have all my own teeth too. I am 18 stone of pure muscle and still have the looks of a Greek God.

Chocolate has also made me devious. I treat my gluten free, lentil eating, tree hugging wife to a box of expensive chocolates on the rare occasion that we have a riff, knowing that the kids and I will be the ones who will be eating them. Is that wrong?

So, Pigeon watchers, do you have any chocolate tales to tell?

I love chocolate, as I am sure many of you do.

My Mother is Swiss and I think my passion for chocolate started when I was very young and she used to go to visit her family in Switzerland and bring home Chocolate, with names like Suchard, Maestrani, Lindt and many more.

It was nothing like Cadbury, Fry's or Bournville which was pretty much all that was available when I was a boy. This Swiss chocolate had hard or soft centres, came in all different shapes, had fruit in and even alcohol.

One of my favourites was a cherry, not a noncy English cherry but a big black forest kind of juicy cherry, though country of origin I have not a clue, with the stalk and pip still intact, surrounded by cherry kirsch, then covered in chocolate. I wondered then and still do, how do they do that?

My Mum used to make me chocolate sandwiches when I was a kid. Thinly sliced Swiss chocolate in a sarnie. She said I would be as strong as a Lion and be able to throw those bales to the top of the stack, just like the men, with my pitch fork. I couldn't, not till I was about nine, though remember well that day I could.

But I have many questions, like how can a simple cocoa bean make something sooo delicious like chocolate?

Can I stay out longer in the hide, in the cold, feeling toasty, unlike my shooting mates, who get cold feet and eventually talk about going home, because I eat chocolate?

Am I wrong to use that sugar rush my kids get from chocolate, by channelling it into cutting the grass, or washing my car?

Chocolate is a bargaining chip. I am nearly 60 and in my time I have used it to placate an employer, even a lover. To make employees more productive, smoothe things over with a supplier, Bank Manager, all kinds of things.

My children are now the beneficiary of my chocolate persuasions. My eldest will do the washing up for a packet of chocolate buttons, all wrong you may think but we are living in a world of hire and reward, though ocassionally the washing up will get done by him for pure love of his parents.

A Thorntons Classic will stop my young lads tears and a bar of white chocolate gives me a hug and a smile from my 5 year old daughter when she is grumpy.

Now you may be thinking that I must be a wheelbarrow to the bath kind of guy, but I am not. My last full medical two months ago told me that I was as fit as a butchers dog. I still have all my own teeth too. I am 18 stone of pure muscle and still have the looks of a Greek God.

Chocolate has also made me devious. I treat my gluten free, lentil eating, tree hugging wife to a box of expensive chocolates on the rare occasion that we have a riff, knowing that the kids and I will be the ones who will be eating them. Is that wrong?

So, Pigeon watchers, do you have any chocolate tales to tell?

Its making you tell porkies too :lol: