where would you stand shooting wild parakeets?

naddan28

They are not currently on schedule 2 part 2 of the act so they are not counted as pest species under the general license.

You could apply to defra or english nature or whatever they call themselvs now and they might give you a license if you can show damage to crops.

Its currently both illegal to shoot them and illegal to release them into the wild :good:

If you get one in a Larsen trap, its probably illegal to sell as a pet too.

Too many rules, too little common sense :lol:

They aren't a native species, they are driving native species out of their nesting habitats but the government would rather ignore the issue than upset the twitcher lobby.

I know of a few shoots that have the same problem and always shoot them on driven days, but they do pick them up and dispose of them discreetly.

No you don't! If it ain't on the quarry list then it's illegal to shoot them.

I don't think there's much doubt that DEFRA will not issue general licences to cull them until they reach plague proportions and, as usual, by then it's likely to be too late!

I'd beg to differ I do know of shoots who do actually shoot them. Legalities aside they really do, because of the murkiness law wise they do pick them up and remove the evidence.

I know of a few shoots that have the same problem and always shoot them on driven days, but they do pick them up and dispose of them discreetly.

No you don't! If it ain't on the quarry list then it's illegal to shoot them.

I don't think there's much doubt that DEFRA will not issue general licences to cull them until they reach plague proportions and, as usual, by then it's likely to be too late!

I'd beg to differ I do know of shoots who do actually shoot them. Legalities aside they really do, because of the murkiness law wise they do pick them up and remove the evidence.

Yes I'm sure you do :good: ...I just wouldn't brag about it on an open forum as there's no murkiness about the law...it's illegal end!

veering off slightly (for a change :lol: ), on the A66 there is a quaint old town you pass through on the way to the M6 and i'll never forget ...... early one morning i was driving through and nearly piled the broomstick (car), because to my complete and utter amazement, a multi-coloured macaw flew over head. now granted i'd had a drink the night before, but nowhere near enough to make me unfit to drive the next day - let alone hallucinate.

so i stopped at a local shop and had to ask. apparently a pair of macaws escaped years back and they have been breeding successfully ever since.

i tell you.... it was amazing to see such a bird flying around free. the colours were beautiful. however the locals view them as utter pests unfortunately. and it has to be said, i havent seen any of them for a couple of years as i drive through. i recently stopped by that shop as i passed through, and was told they are still around. :good:

kirkby steven is the place you saw the Macaws, although I think the shopkeeper was taking a lend somewhat

as perhaps some may hav escaped in the past the ones you see are "kept" but obviously freeflying next time you pass through as you go over the small bridge on the way out of town and on the road to tebay

look to your right and you will see the macaws and the housing they have , nice sight they are.

cheers KW