.22 Rimfire bullets

Try SK's, top quality and more oomph than eley and rws. The last eleys I had were only just over 900 fps, accurate and consistent but more drop than I liked. RWS were slightly faster but not quite as accurate for me, now I've tried SK's I don't think there's any going back, while I can get them anyway. The ones I've had have been as fast as a subsonic can be but I haven't had a single cracker, they're so consistent, and I reckon they're probably the best subsonic hollowpoints available. Just my opinion, but I don't think anybody would be disappointed with them. I haven't heard of any poor reports about them from anyone else who's tried them either.

very good ammo my personal choice, used to use them as Lapua (had a picture of a rat on the box then)

heck any shot on a stoat with a rifle has a lot to do with luck anyhow, I doubt I have shot more than three in my life. Done with HV no interest to me personally at 142 yds they will have dropped a long ways anyhow and as the transonic zone is due to speed dropping from supersonic to subsonic then they are never going to outperform a good sub. I agree though RWS make some good rimfire ammo for sure. I am sure someone, someplace has a real good use for HV its just I dont

How do you work that one out? I've shot dozens and dozens of stoats with a rifle and know a lot of keepers who have.

How do you work that one out? I've shot dozens and dozens of stoats with a rifle and know a lot of keepers who have.

I didn't work it out mate, its a statement of fact (the blighters hardly stay still for more than a nano second) to hit one at that sort of range with a .22 is defiantly requiring more luck than design you were very lucky to even draw a bead on it, let alone call the shot right which takes some doing at that range.

I live in moorland with dry stone walls and stoats are an everyday sort of sighting yet still I reckon three might be all I have had with a rifle in over three decades of carrying a rifle, in deed I was laughing about how hard they are to shoot with the keeper next door a few weeks ago and cant remember him saying much better

I didn't work it out mate, its a statement of fact (the blighters hardly stay still for more than a nano second) to hit one at that sort of range with a .22 is defiantly requiring more luck than design you were very lucky to even draw a bead on it, let alone call the shot right which takes some doing at that range.

I live in moorland with dry stone walls and stoats are an everyday sort of sighting yet still I reckon three might be all I have had with a rifle in over three decades of carrying a rifle, in deed I was laughing about how hard they are to shoot with the keeper next door a few weeks ago and cant remember him saying much better

Didn't say they were hard to shoot but just questioning the fact that you said it was more to do with luck . It is not a statement of fact just because you say so and yes they do move a heck of a lot but more often than not, a quick squeak will let them sit up for long enough to get a shot. I didn't mention range I only highlighted that you said any shot on a stoat was mostly down to luck.

Kent can say what he likes, i'm not bothered in the slightest.

The facts are I squeaked this stoat.It was on a kill and sat upright on it's hind legs sniffing the air. I had plenty of time and made a good shot. You know what they say about luck? Make some of your own.

Edited by Whitebridges

Get a grip on matters fellas, statement of fact they are hard to get a bead on so yes a big dose of luck is required to get a clean shot off another statement of fact. If you think they are easy and luck isn't largely involved in getting off a successful and from what I gather was un-ranged having stated as being "paced out afterwards" 142 yard shot on one fine your prerogative (another statement of fact). A stoat requires what a 1" lateral placement when stood on its hind legs or 1" vertical if not, that's significantly more than sub MOA at 142, so no luck hey? better tell us all about your bullets then coz I aint found any .22 quite that good- unless of course there was a big chunk of luck in there perhaps? :rolleyes::lol:

I failed to get two different stoats shot at last month both came in briefly to a squeak and I was wafting a .410 at the time, both well in range- that was an example of bad luck!

Get a grip on matters fellas, statement of fact they are hard to get a bead on so yes a big dose of luck is required to get a clean shot off another statement of fact. If you think they are easy and luck isn't largely involved in getting off a successful and from what I gather was un-ranged having stated as being "paced out afterwards" 142 yard shot on one fine your prerogative (another statement of fact). A stoat requires what a 1" lateral placement when stood on its hind legs or 1" vertical if not, that's significantly more than sub MOA at 142, so no luck hey? better tell us all about your bullets then coz I aint found any .22 quite that good- unless of course there was a big chunk of luck in there perhaps? :rolleyes::lol:

I failed to get two different stoats shot at last month both came in briefly to a squeak and I was wafting a .410 at the time, both well in range- that was an example of bad luck!

Again, I am not arguing that they are not difficult or about the range. It is not a fact that it is lucky to shoot one with a .22. Yes it may have been unlucky that you didn't get a shot at two last month but it doesn't mean that people that shoot them with a .22 are lucky. I would have thought 1" target at say 40yds was a reasonably straight forward shot for anyone competent. Just because you haven't done something regular over your 3+ decades doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Lots of things can be hard to shoot but it doesn't make the shot lucky if you do manage to shoot one. I think you are getting your own opinion mixed up with statements of fact.

this is so far off topic and now we are talking 40 yds not 140, the problem being as I have stated they are hyper active buzzy little things! lets get back to the thread subject and agree to disagree on with the rest hey? .22 bullets is an interesting and varied enough subject in its own right

this is so far off topic and now we are talking 40 yds not 140, the problem being as I have stated they are hyper active buzzy little things! lets get back to the thread subject and agree to disagree on with the rest hey? .22 bullets is an interesting and varied enough subject in its own right

If you read my original post I never mentioned any distance whatsoever, I only commented on the fact that you said shooting a stoat with a rifle is down to luck. Not a fact. Yes they are rather hyper *******.

This is all a bit of a laugh.

Dear old Kent is lecturing us about luck/facts. In my post # 19 i said 142 paces. Paces are NOT yards or even inches or metres ! Don't make assumptions Kent. You don't know what I had on my back or whether it was uphill , downhill or beyond.

Anyway he doesn't sound an expert on shooting Stoat. I don't suppose this will make one iota of difference as Kent is always right regardless of the FACTS. He has consistent mode of making daft assumptions on things he doesn't understand.Never mind.

Now I will confidently predict he will come up will some old ******** about how **** HV rounds are and how tricky is it to shoot a stoat. All the other **** he writes about in his post #31 regarding the kill area being 1" vertical/lateral is also complete ****.

We'll see gentlemen.

Edited by Whitebridges

Do you know why the yard is what it is? An approximate adult male pace, an inch a thumb end etc this is the basis of imperial sizing ! A ten - 15 percent error between meters and yards etc. this makes no matter really . Shooting at an angle up or down only flattens the trajectory curve over the bullet path some, windage is as per distance travelled and the capabilities of accuracy in the said bullet is also on the path travelled (not the horizontal distance) Isn't it quite flat in Norfolk though? "lol" I think you might not be shooting stoats if the head or chest gives any greater than 1" for dispersion though I await to here how big your stoats are. You are stating I make all these assumptions yet fail to put forward a counter case other than to say "kent is wrong"

So how much does a stoat give laterally when stood up or vertically when on all fours?

I think I stated I have no use for HV, others might have - they certainly fly flatter a bit further and carry more kinetic energy, so if you are offended by the fact I don't like them just tell us why you like them and their advantages to you. Its not a personal insult I am not calling you an idiot for using said ammo