ONE TO BAFFLE THE BRAIN

evo

hi guys just thought I would share some information I have found this morning, very strange indeed,

I have been having a target practice out to 40yrds with my Airwolf (regulated) BSA r10 Mk2 (regulated) and my Daystate huntsman,(standard from factory

ok the rifles with JSB Exact 15.89g pellets chrono,d as follows

Airwolf = 11.7ftlb

BSA r10 mk2 = 11.8ftlb

Daystate huntsman = 11.6ftlb

these where taken after firing 20 shots through each rifle and then putting 10 pellets in each magazine and calculating the average over the 10 shots , although I must say the Airwolf and r10 hardly moved at all

now for the baffling part the 3 rifles all had the same pellets put through them and where all 5.52 and 15.89 g

I then put 10 Baracuda Hunter Extreme.s 19.09g through the 3 rifles and here are the average chrono results over the 10 shots,

Airwolf = 11.4ftlb

BSA r10 mk2 = 11.6ftlb

Daystate huntsman = 11.9ftlb

now is it me or what ? the airwolf and R10 lost power (both regulated) and the huntsman gained in power(unregulated) how strange is that as I was always lead to believe that using a heavier pellet would increase the ftlb of the air rifle,

certainly this was the case with the huntsman but not with the other two,

any thoughts on this ??? as I,m baffled as to why there was a decrease in power with the regulated rifles and an increase with the unregulated rifle,

thought please

cheers Evo

ps

the Baracuda Hunter Extreme grouped very well upto 30yrds but after that where all over a 2p size target although non strayed outside the target but at 40yrds it would be guess work as to where the POI would be lol

atb Evo

A regulated rifle has a set amount of air each shot. So a heavier pellet will go slower as it's using the same amount of air as the lighter pellets. When shooting an unregulated rifle you are essentially 'dipping' into the main reservoir, which results in higher back pressure/ valve dwell time etc resulting in higher Ftlb.

I think I may know whats happening here. Firstly, yes the heavier the pellets are the more kinetic energy they can carry. However, there is a weight limit you hit at which point the power will decrease. In this case, 19grain pellets

are really heavy...and I'd fully expect to see a reduction in power with them.

The regulated guns:

These are still producing the same amount of power regardless of how many shots you've taken, so I'd expect the results you've shown.

The unregulated gun:

The gun has a power curve. As you fire shots off, you reduce the amount of air in the cylinder and thus reduce the pressure holding the knock open valve closed. This makes it easier for the hammer spring to open,

and so is releasing more power into the pellet.

As an experiment...take the unregulated gun, and fully fill it with air to whatever pressure you normally set it at. Take 5 shots with your 15.89 grain pellets and take note of the readings. Then Re-fill the gun to the exact

same point, and take the 5 shots again, but this time use the 19 grain pellets...then compare.

-Andrew

Edited by Theskyfox

There are also other variables that will the muzzle energy; barrel length, micoscopic differences in bore size, valve opening times, pellet width etc.

My rifle produces more energy from AA fields than Bis Mags, but it is unregulated.

yes ,,it just goes to show that a heavier pellet does not always mean more power, as has been said many times on here it just goes to show that if the police where to chrono with a heavier pellet it does not mean it will always go over the 12ftlb limit

safe to say though , all my rifles are under,,happy days

atb Evo

There are also other variables that will the muzzle energy; barrel length, micoscopic differences in bore size, valve opening times, pellet width etc.

My rifle produces more energy from AA fields than Bis Mags, but it is unregulated.

Mine are the same, I think the softer lead of the AA Fields allows a better seal on the rifling and less friction in the barrel.

Apart from being efficient they are also the most accurate.

Edited by timmytree