Cricket 3rd Umpire Decisions

Hatcher

I was watching the England v. Australia ODI and I couldn't help but notice that the umpires use the 3rd Umpire referral system an awful lot. Some of the decisions that they send for referral are unbelievably clear (more prevalent on the runout decisions) and it seems that they are scared to make any decisions for themselves.

I am all for the idea of introducing technology into sport and understand that progression is key, but it gets to a point when officials use it every other decision and it becomes ludicrous.

Question is, do you think that umpires should make their own decisions rather than rely on television replays?

Hatcher

The problem with that,is the viewing public get to watch a replay from four or five angles,all in slo mo.

Lord Gower and his mob would then pore over it,complain about the standards of umpiring and on it goes.

It was like when Andy Gray used to run the rule over borderline offsides and slag off the linesmen.

So I reckon if he's unsure,go upstairs.

Plus aren't there only half a dozen or so umpires deemed good enough at test level these days?

The sad thing is, I reckon that the umpires on the test stage will only be out there to count 6 deliveries. Every other decision will be referred to the 3 rd umpire( who in this series hasn't been brilliant!)

It's a shame, because I do think technology has a part to play, but when they refer the run out of Bresnan as they did yestersay( who was out by a couple of yards), and then check every dismissal for a front foot no ball, it makes a mockery of umpiring

Edited by Spoonbed

I think its a good call.As mentioned with the likes of the Bresnan run oot the umpire knew full well he was walking but still referred,but with Bopara it was required as the margin was so close.What they need to cut doon is the front foot check on every dismissal but apart from that i like it.

I totally agree about the Bresnan decision and it was that referral which sparked my enquiry into this topic! It's just a shame because they are become so over reliant on it that it just becomes frustrating to both the spectator (having to watch a replay on a decision which is so clearly out/in) and the players (there is always a delay in play, and it staggers the game up a lot)

Thing is about the front foot no ball, it has to be shown as in very few occasions (granted only a few!), has a decision been overruled by a stray foot over the no ball line. So you have to check it just in case!

Yes I do…as far as I am concerned the umpires should have total authority and the players should accept this whether they feel it’s right or wrong.

I stopped playing County league Cricket prematurely in the early 80.s because of the dissent and unsavoury lack of sportsmanship creeping into the game. I’m from a long line of Cricketers, both my Father and Grandfather played County Cricket and umpired.

Modern Cricket is one of the most unsportsmanlike games played at international level these days and third umpire and TV technology will erode this even further…even in village cricket the unsavoury element is taking over.

The problem with that,is the viewing public get to watch a replay from four or five angles,all in slo mo.

Lord Gower and his mob would then pore over it,complain about the standards of umpiring and on it goes.

It was like when Andy Gray used to run the rule over borderline offsides and slag off the linesmen.

So I reckon if he's unsure,go upstairs.

Plus aren't there only half a dozen or so umpires deemed good enough at test level these days?

There are 12 that sit on the Elite Panel (eligible to umpire tests). The trouble is that 8 of them are from either Australia or England, so are automatically unable to umpire in The Ashes. This has meant for the whole 10 tests, we;ve had the same 4, and of those 4 I'd only really trust 2 of them! They did upgrade billy bowden for a couple of the aussie tests, but he's not one of the 12. What I'd wish they'd do is just take the No-ball call away from the field and let the third umpire do it. All he'd need is a screen permanently on the front foot line, if it's a no ball, he presses a button and the on field umpire picks it up. 5 seconds perhaps? Then the umpires on the field can get on with making the big decisions and keep the game moving.