Nissan terrano 1995. 2.7td auto

shugmcm

Hi. I have just noticed after my transmission warms up its not shifting into 5th gear as normal. And its nothing to fo with the at switch or the overdrive. And i have done a service on everything. After service all was ok. Any ideas. Im just wondering if its the tranny heat sensor? I dont know where it is tho. Thanks

Hi. I have just noticed after my transmission warms up its not shifting into 5th gear as normal. And its nothing to fo with the at switch or the overdrive. And i have done a service on everything. After service all was ok. Any ideas. Im just wondering if its the tranny heat sensor? I dont know where it is tho. Thanks

So it now works as it should since the service ? Or it you put it in D and then it just won't go into 5th the chances are it's a valve body sensor or solenoid problem . As it's a diesel it won't have a vacuum control so a cracked pipe etc can be ruled out.

How many miles ? And has it had a fluid change ? If it had low oil level it probably wouldn't engage D or R straight away when cold.

Edited by 88b

Ive counted the gears to 4th. Then i put od on and it drops to 3rd. Then i put od off and it shifts into 4th again. No probs there. What i am noticing is it goes through all the gears to 4th even when cold. To get that other gear i am on about, the jeep has to warm up for 5mins say and when its warm enough and im sitting about 50 mph i defo would hear another gear kick in and the rev counter drops and i feel the jeep wanting to take off. Thats not happining now

I'm guessing it's a 4 speed with OD on 4th , by pressing the OD button probably on the gear lever it locks off OD and also engages engine braking in the other gears. To be honest at that mileage assuming it's the original trans it's lasted well. If it works how I think it does , the OD is actually a torque converter lock , it could be the seal on the pump between the converter and pump has worn out. Not a nice job getting a trans out of a Terrano with the torsion bar suspension.

The extra gear might well be a torque converter lock-up. Our TD5 Discovery has a four speed box and I was convinced there were 5 but apparently on light throttle loads over 50 MPH the torque converter locks up automatically.

Personally I would try a complete fluid change first. To achieve this you will need to do it a couple of times as you never get all of the fluid out of the torque converter when draining. Also check to see if there is a replaceable filter in the auto box sump.

That could be it. How do u get fluid out of convertor.

Take the trans out or remove the engine, pull off the converter and let it drain. The hard part comes next when you have to get the converter back on. You have two choices here, drop the oil pan which will drain about 80% of the fluid , change the filter and refill with fresh oil of the right grade. As it's a 95 the oil shouldn't be too exotic like some of the newer vehicles.

Or the sensible option find a good transmission shop and seek their advice, which should be free.

You say that the Transmission fluid was changed.

Was the fluid that came out Cherry Red. Or a rusty brown colour. ???

If it was a Rusty Brown Colour Smelling burnt thats the clutches Slipping. (burned out)

Did you change the Transmission fluid filter. ???. And what fluid did you fill it with. ???.

I would take the Transmission sump off and change the filter.

Drain has much fluid off has you can turn the engine over for a few seconds with the sump off.

Put the sump back and refill with Dexron 3 Not 5 or 6.

Start the engine and put the Transmission in 1 2 D R.

And do this for a few min with the engine running. On level ground.

Leave the engine running go through the gears again 1 2 D R then put it in P or N.

And check the transmission fluid level Dip stick with the ENGINE RUNNING.

If you check your fluid level with the engine off your not getting a proper reading.

Edited by NIGHT SEARCHER

I used dexron 2 recommended by auto saver in dundee. And yes the oil was rank. Thanks for the tip.

Dexron 2 should be fine on a vehicle that old.

Change it once more, along with the filter and check the levels with the engine running after going through the gears, which you should always do on an auto following a drain and refill, as NIGHT SEARCHER says.

If that doesn't sort it, then there is something more serious wrong with the transmission.

Drain has much fluid off has you can turn the engine over for a few seconds with the sump off.

This should get most of the fluid out of the Torque Converter and into your bucket.

There`s a good few electrical wires and plugs to the gearbox.

Unplug them and spray them with electrical contact cleaner. It can only help. Maplin. Or Ebay.

There`s a number of Additives you can put in failing Auto gearboxes (ie) Slipping Clutches.

I don`t know if they work or not. They may help for a short period of time. Or just a waste of money.

Edited by NIGHT SEARCHER

I have done all that was advised and what i noticed when the gear changed after 4th i heard and felt a shudder but made no difference. I tried to repeat but its like im back to square one. The revs are high when im doing 70mph when normaly they are a lot lower. What was that shudder. Thanks again