Digital/Freeview Set Top Box

Brixsmaid

Right here goes

My old Superstore special Digital/Freeview Set Top Box went pear shaped yesterday, after lots and lots of years use - so off I troops to Currys and buys their cheapo Goodmans Set Top Box - anyway over the last day, it won't settle down or produce a picture for more than 15-20 mins at best, before shifting to the BBC Midlands or the like, bearing in mind I'm in South Hampshire and then loses all signal. Anyway stole the old Superstore special Digital/Freeview Set Top Box from the spare bedroom, connected it and immediately it's fine and has been for hours now.

Anyone any ideas what's up with the Goodmans, are the new ones more sensitive or something? - Whatever it'll be going back swiftly unless someone can advise otherwise.

Can anyone recommend a cheapy that's worth a try before my other cheapo oldie dies?

Cheers

had problems with my old digi box upstairs ,just re tuned it works fine now ,don't know if it will be same for newer models mine is about 2 year old .

Mine have both got to 5 years plus, the one that packed up just couldn't find a signal, buttons only worked intermittently, couldn't get it to on sometimes - so binned. The other one tuned straight in but must be on borrowed time!

Take it back and get a hunax!

If these are the humax ones a quick google suggest serious pennies, and lots more specs than I need - just want a basic receiver no HD, no record - only for the bedroom tv.

Best on the humax site was a managers special at three times the cheapy!

If these are the humax ones a quick google suggest serious pennies, and lots more specs than I need - just want a basic receiver no HD, no record - only for the bedroom tv.

Best on the humax site was a managers special at three times the cheapy!

http://www1.humaxdirect.co.uk/Direct/Prod/7a505f2f-aa6a-4787-aca4-8dddf0b9cdfc Does do a lot more, you do get what you pay for.....

To be fair if your down south a d getting midlands an attenuator might be the answer

Whats an attenuator?

I just don't understand why the old spare digibox is fine but the new Currys cheapo won't stay on the local transmitter and breaks up and finally blacks out the screen with a 'No Signal' message before it gives up completely - I then retune and that's when it finds the midlands TV, my nearest transmitter is on the Isle of Wight 18 miles away!

http://www1.humaxdirect.co.uk/Direct/Prod/7a505f2f-aa6a-4787-aca4-8dddf0b9cdfc Does do a lot more, you do get what you pay for.....

Bit worried about spending a bit more if it's going to be equally sensitive?

Try the bay and look for skybox f5 you can get one with a free gift (sky TV )

Not sure this is really an option, Sky dish is already in use in the living room - I just want a new absolutely basic Digibox for the old bedroom TV that tunes to my local transmitter and stays locked on!