Advice on HW80 for newbie

rowland75

Hi Guys

Appologies for posting loads on springers, but I am amazed at the advice you all give.

My new quest (whilst rebuilding my meteor) is to find a springer for rabbit and wp hunting.

I have around £2-300 for the full kit and seem to be edging towards the Weihrauch HW80.

Whats the difference with the 'k' version? Will it help me?

For the money and tunability is there a better option?

Uttings seem to do the best deals, are they good to buy from as regards back up?

Many thanks for any advice received :good:

Pete

not always weihrauch are built like brick ####houses i rate them as probably as good as they get,i had a hw90 great little rifle,i shoot precharged now and would nt go back to a springer i just bought a hw100 in fac so looking forward to it.i always had a soft spot for a hw97 i think its the nicest springer around.i think if you ever own a weihrauch you will always hold a soft spot for them.like cars the germans build them to last and be reliable.still the odd beetle about lol

I have around £2-300 for the full kit and seem to be edging towards the Weihrauch HW80.

My advice would be to not buy any gun without trying it first.

The majority of £150+ springers are reasonable, but some are better than others.I had a HW80, but I hated it after a while, it was just too heavy with poor recoil.

I think the BSA range are too lightweight. The HW97 and Air Arms TX200 are too front heavy. The Prosport is excellent,though heavy, and the one that suits me the best is the Webley Longbow. I bought my first one for £150 secondhand, and couldnt believe how good it was. I've since bought another. They are far better than the similarly spec'd BSA Lightnings, and on a par with the Air Arms range for firing ability and feel.

Dont buy one without trying it. Go to a Club, and ask to try a few other peoples guns, and see which one suits you the best.

Alan.

Hey Pete,

I wouldn't go for the HW80 (unless it really takes your fancy), it is a classic but a bit dated now (not to mention heavy). Your better option would be a HW95k, you can get the new 2007 model with silencer and scope for £264 at JSramsbottom.com. You can't go wrong with that.

You made the right choice looking at Weihrauch though, i've tryed many brands and have to say they are undoubtably the best when it comes to springers, especially when V-Mach tuned. The only thing better is a Theoben, next month i shall be purchasing the Eliminator in FAC. Can't wait!!

I have a Hw90k and with a theoben moderator it 4 ft long heavy but love it, the slightly shorter barrel is usefull for fitting a moderator really works well and will cloverleaf shots at 40 m but how you hold the beast is everything, if you want to shoot springers/gas ram buy and read x200 times Terry Doe's book on Eliminators by Theoben. But if starting from scratch for 12 ft/lb why go for all the extra weight.