First Dog

Jimjim

Border Collies are very intelligent and can learn most games. They love to retrieve so that is a good point, and many have been used by shepperds to take the odd bunny along the fields. Introduce her slowly to the gun, and get her out brushing so that she learns to put game up and you have a good chance of coming up with a gun dog.

Have Fun,

NTTF

I’ve got a Border Collie, saved her as a pup when the FMD was at it’s height. She was going to be put down. :welcomeani:

She’s a bit of a madam with the other dog but was, and still is very easy to train. She’s caught a few squirrels and rabbits. I’m amazed at how quick she is. Never had a Collie before always Labradors but she’s a fantastic dog, she just learns so quickly. She’s excellent at retrieving but goes ballistic at any loud noise so sadly I don’t take her shooting.

When I got her I spoke to a couple of breeders who told me to be careful to train her from being very small around sheep and cattle. She does come from working stock so the last thing I wanted is for her to chase or herd them, she doesn’t give them a second glance now.

She’s a small collie with very good markings, she’d probably have made an excellent working dog.

post-3861-1170768129.jpg

edge on the side of caution....... and 100 bar for lab is very cheap indeed....I would sugest you see both patents, and any papers there may be!!

Collies.....lovely, alround dogs...I had one for 8 years she was called Madison, and it was a sad day indeed when I parted from the ex, and the dog!!! :welcomeani::good:

yeah ano what you mean, i have searched papers, dog pounds and any labs i find are 250 - 400 pound and its abit dear for me am thinking around the 100 for the most lol

He said on phone that he had a good family related reason he was selling for cheap, i should hopefully be going tonigth for a look at him :welcomeani:

Be wary of backyard breeders.

You must see at least the dam and any paperwork before you buy. Make sure you see eye tests and hip scores, grandparents, great grandparents. If needs be come away and research the pups background.

Is this pup coming from a litter, or is it on it's own? Why have these people bred a litter (if they have). Do the dam and sire work?

I'd be very wary of someone selling a lab puppy for £100 due to family reasons.

Save up and get a quality pup from a reputable breeder, you'll be better off in the long run.

hip score most important in labs =i agree totaly

collies for gun dog not realy mine runs and hides under the kitchen table when she hears the gun cabinet keys it the lock :good::good: and ive had here since a pup

what ever the dog you get start to train it from 12 weeks old =aim for the basic sit and stay to start with then on to fetch and then on to quartering etc

the first few months are the most important in my opinion as if they get away from you in the first few weeks and months it so much harder to correct a unruly dog

my preference is for a springer :good: but thats mibby because ive been lucky and have a good one

good luck and whatever dog you get its a good idea to read up on the habbits etc of the breed you buy

good luck kirky :welcomeani:

yeah i totally agree all those, he told me on the phone there that his father is well known around the clubs and kennels around were hes from and that the father is registered but somethin to do with the mothers paper work isnt rigth,

al find out all on sat morning,

the pup is 1 of 3, hes says its a pedigree but is there any ways of knowing??

the pups havent got paperwork but if there is a genuine reason can i get paper work for them??

yeah i totally agree all those, he told me on the phone there that his father is well known around the clubs and kennels around were hes from and that the father is registered but somethin to do with the mothers paper work isnt rigth,

al find out all on sat morning,

the pup is 1 of 3, hes says its a pedigree but is there any ways of knowing??

the pups havent got paperwork but if there is a genuine reason can i get paper work for them??

"A pedigreed animal is one that has its ancestry recorded. Often this is tracked by a major registry. The number of generations required varies from breed to breed, but all pedigreed animals have papers from the registering body that attest to their ancestry."

So all "pedigree" means is that the mum and dad are registered with The Kennel Club as are the grandparents (so are "pedigree" themselves).

It means the dog is who the owners say it is, and the parents are who they say they are etc etc. It's invaluable for checking family history, problems within the family, champions within the family.

So if the mother hasn't got papers, and thus not registered with the kennel club, the puppy can't be registered with the Kennel Club as a pedigree.

Do they have hip scores for both parents? An "official" hip score needs to be an x-ray from a registered vet with the dogs kennel club number on that is then sent to the kennel club to be checked by their vets who then give it a score. So I doubt they do. A major sticking point, that will cost you horrific amounts of money in the future.

Have the pups been properly weened, sosicalised, docked, de-clawed? What sort of enviroment have they been brought up in.

Why is it only one of three?

Non of this really matters if and a big if, you know where the dog is coming from, you personally know the person that's bred it, and are happy with both parents. Personally I'd only take a dog like this from someone who's dogs I've seen work and can vouch for myself.

All sounds a bit dodgy to me. Be careful.

Cheers for all that russuk!! :lookaround:

i will be having a good chat with him on fri nigth before i arrange were and when to meet him!!

i hope to get the pup to the vets on sat if i feel the pup is worth it for a good once over etc, as long as the dog is healthy am happy enough but we'll see how sat morning goes :lookaround:

Heya all,

i got the pup last nigth :thanks: great pup!!! really lively, great shine off his coat, good colouring of the eyes and the teeth are in great shape, huge big paws for a 10 week old haha i will post a picture later when i get home :lookaround:

going to vets later to get the jabs :whistling: anything like his master he wont like it :lookaround: