jeep cherokee crd funny noise

cuzzy

hi all I've got a cherokee 2003 2.8 auto diesel not the grand the smaller one well its got a funny noise not a grindy or knocking more of a noise you get if you put a set of chunky tyres on well I've be told it could be a wheel bearing or the diff I've had the car jacked up and there is no movement from the wheels but I've drove the car and put it in neutral and the noise is still there if it was the diff would the noise not go away any no shed a light on it

Edited by cuzzy

when I had exact same problem with my disco,knowing the wheel bearings were sound,i took rear prop off,drove it,noise still there,that ruled out rear diff,so after ruling out both diffs,it actuqlly turned out to be gearbox mate,you could try the same,hopefully not your gearbox though,let us know how you get on.........

the noise is like a humming noise going to jack up again to see if any movement and getting the diff oil changed on tuesday think I'm going to have to wait till it gets that bad that i can get it sorted i don't know much about cars

Don't waste your money changing oil until you know what's wrong. You probably won't feel play in a wheel bearing until it's very noisey. Find a nice straight quiet road drive at about 30 or 40 mph turn right so it loads up the left side of the vehicle, if it gets louder it's the left side if the noise goes away it's the right. Heeps do suffer from rear doffs especially the ones that automatically select FWD.

when i was a car salesman we often got the type of noise you describe with cars of all types and turned out more often than not to be a distorted tyre. the noise they made was often mis diagnosed as a faulty wheel bearing or prop. sometimes when the suspect tyre was changed it was hard to beleave that the old tyre had been able to make so much noise.

Sounds like dif "jeep renowned for it" ... try fast speed 40mph plus, altering direction driving, wheel bearing loaded will audibly increase noise "opposite side to direction indicated bearing fault ... best when freewheeling in a large off road private car park if possible ...

Check diff oil .. does it smell burnt ? ... are there signs of metalic particules .. cheers