Placeboards

Hi everyone,

I've got a 14 week old lab bitch, Just started training about a week ago she goes on the lead, sits etc...

What's all of your opinions on placeboard training? I've seen a few videos and it looks to be a really good way of training and good for basics like sit and stay. Let me know what you all think and your past experiences..

Thanks

Fieldsports

Placeboards have become popular since Ian Openshaw released a DVD. The man sees a benefit, for him. But then he has made up circa 100 FTCh's. I think it's a bit like clicker training, it is probably very good if you know what you're doing and have some experience. If you don't it could lead to out and out confusion for you and the dog, but that's just my opinion.

I agree with PERCE though, enjoy your pup and don't feel under pressure to train too early, just condition behaviour and avoid undesirable behaviour. Very often less is more.

cheers for the feedback guys, yeah I'm not doing much with her at the moment, and I'd only even use the boards for basics, they just look a really easy way to help cement the basics, Agree PERCE just want to get a head start with sorting things.. but having said that in the video Ian Openshaw has an 10ish week pup sitting on one, so can't be too bad!

I have nothing against place board training or clicker training, if it's a way to get a dog do something, not a problem.

At 14 weeks I'm playing with a pup, I want it to have desire to be with me, to retrieve,to hunt, to swim etc. But until it'll do all these things I will not put any pressure of formal training on it. No steadiness, no sit & stays.

I have nothing against place board training or clicker training, if it's a way to get a dog do something, not a problem.

At 14 weeks I'm playing with a pup, I want it to have desire to be with me, to retrieve,to hunt, to swim etc. But until it'll do all these things I will not put any pressure of formal training on it. No steadiness, no sit & stays.

clicker training has never really appealed to me!

I'm just in the process of teaching her to sit, but use everything as a game so she keeps interest in me etc...

each to their own!

Would say it depends on your past experiences and how easy you found training your previous dogs. If you struggled with the basics then maybe some help from a reputable trainer or reading books and watching a few good DVD's might help. If you have been successful with past methods and you are satisfied with the results then stick to them.

At 14 weeks a pup of mine would be well on it's way regarding being learnt the basics, sit with hand, voice and whistle, recall with the whistle and mooching for tennis balls.

It would all be done in short doses to keep things exciting for the pup.

Why not buy the placeboards DVD and see for yourself if you think it would help you. I'm sure the method can be useful with certain dogs and with dogs that have had a previous bad behavior learned / ingrained through poor initial training.

Sorry I shouldn't be doing such things with a 14 week old any training would still be firmly under "play conditioning". Its very possible to get quite a high std of compliance out of a young pup as it lacks the ability of free thought BUT to my mind it makes things harder once it has the power of free thought not easier.

For me it would be at least double that age, some even older before I started on the stay etc., I sort of want the dog to try it on before I start on that stuff. The fact you can do it sooner does not mean the dog will be more compliant / relable to the command at 2 yrs

Sit and recall can be done with great results at food time and it's very enjoyable for the pup and rewarding for it as well. Small steps with no pressure. There are things worth leaving until the pup is much older but the basics can be in place very early giving a good foundation. It will always need to be polished up from time to time but so long as the basics are there it should make life easier later on. Place boards might make life easier or harder depending on the trainers understanding of how to use them but first of all any trainer using them needs to know how to use the technique and more importantly, needs to know why he's using them.

Sorry I shouldn't be doing such things with a 14 week old any training would still be firmly under "play conditioning". Its very possible to get quite a high std of compliance out of a young pup as it lacks the ability of free thought BUT to my mind it makes things harder once it has the power of free thought not easier.

For me it would be at least double that age, some even older before I started on the stay etc., I sort of want the dog to try it on before I start on that stuff. The fact you can do it sooner does not mean the dog will be more compliant / relable to the command at 2 yrs

I agree Kent some people push the boundary of training far to early in some cases, let it be a pup firstly.