Is my gun proofed for Steel?

Markio

Morning Gents,

I am hoping/thinking of joining my local Wilfowlers club, i known they are a good bunch as i shoot on their small out of season clay ground. They also have pigeon shooting and the odd pheasant shoot as part of the member ship.

My question is this, without taking my gun to be proofed is there a way i can tell if it's proofed for steel? Markings etc? It's a Lanber (model 2087 -i think- from my own investigation), 2 3/4" (70mm) chambers.

Otherwise can i use steel alternatives (bismuth, tungsten etc) through a non steel proofed gun?

This has always been a vague area for me and i hope i can call upon you vast knowledge!

Hi Markio,

I assume your Lanber is Multi Choked and therefore you can put open chokes i.e. cylinder and/or skeet. In which case you could use steel and Eley do a Grand Prix steel for chamber lengths such as yours. Bismuth/Tungsten etc are expensive in comparison, but you can use tighter chokes.

If in doubt chop it in for a gun with a three inch magnum, or buy a cheap Semi auto Multi choke with a 3-3.5"Magnum for the ducks/Geese.

I was thinking about joining the Club you mention seeing as the one MC belongs to and the one another mate of mine belongs to on the same stretch of coast are both "Local Clubs for Local people":lol:

Could you PM the address/contact number over as I can't find it on t'internet or in latest shooting mag.

Cheers

SS :)

Hi SS,

Yeah it is Multi choke. But I was under the impression that the bores had to be able to withstand the harder steel shot?

I've found some stuff out of bismuth and tungsten and it seems that Tungsten is damn close to lead in terms of density and performance per shot size, whereas steel is less dense and requires a higher shot size to carry the same energy than smaller lead or tungsten shot. Also it can fire through a non steel shot proofed gun, old vintage jobbies and the like.

My reasoning then being that tungsten would be a better load choice for me with a 70mm chamber as i could fire carts with a higher quantity of tungsten shot then i could with steel shot of a larger size in the same length cartridge.

OK, it's more expensive but how many shots do you fire off on the foreshore? Not too many i bet.

Markio,

There is nothing wrong with steel at sensible ranges, Express do a hunting steel in a 23/4 case which I use to great effect later in the season over decoys. Anything out to about 35 yards and it is job done.

Your gun will need to have the Fleur de lys symbol on it, which is the scout logo in case you don't know.

Hevi shot is the way to go, or tungsten matrix if you are feeling flush.

Personally I wouldn't use Bismuth as I do not find it effective, but it is each to their own.

I had a look for the symbol lasy night, although there are a few stamped on the side of the barrels near the breach i couldn't see the Fleur de lys. They are very small stamps and also some numbers that would suggest pressure figures maybe? Looks like steel isn't even an option for me.

Anyway, i'm going to try and find the descriptions for each of the symbols as a matter of interest.

Thanks for he responses so far all.