Biting ferret

Rossi46

Hi all

I picked up the jill ( the one I posted about the other day) from the rescue center on wednesday and have spent the last two days with her to see how bad her biting problem is.

She will come to me when I call her and she will eat her food out of the palm of my hand if i'm careful but when the food has gone or I try and stroke her, pick her or generally put my hands near her she goes into attack mode bites me (proper biting as in my hands are coverd in plasters)

When she bites me I have been getting her by the scruff of her neck and saying "no biting" then put her back down.

Is this the right thing to do or is there a better way I should be doing it?

I don't expect it to work over nite and that its going to take along time to get results, I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing to start off with.

Firstly, I would never feed a ferret from my hand, put the food on a saucer, or a bowl.

Don't pick her up just before you feed her, or just after.

When you pick her up, do so quickly, but gently.

Don't hover your hand over her, or make grabbing gestures, this will alarm her and she will go into attack mode.

Don't hold her for long, a quick tickle or stroke on the ears and then put her down.

Put your hand on the floor of her hutch, give her the chance to come to you, if she doesn't , then do it again tomorrow and the day after etc.

She is in new surroundings and you are new to her, give her time and she will relax.

How old is the Ferret?

I assume it is full grown ,if it is stop scruffing it!

It is not a dog and will not learn like a dog!

All you will do by causing it discomfort is to teach it your hands are things to be avoided,and if it cant avoid them, it will bite them because its the only defence it has.

The only way to tame a adult ferret is lots of gentle handling and lots of time ,

you wont be able to do this overnight,or even over a month,although you should see a big improvment in this time if you spend plenty of time with it each and every day,keep picking it up and stroking it ,

never snatch it up ! you must pick it up with confidene ,and not dart your hand in and out looking to avoid a bite.

All ferrets are different,some come aroud quicker than others,with constant gentle handling,you may have a very tame and trustworthy Ferret in a month,however it could take 3 months if it is older .

once it is starting to accept the handling,you could then offer it some milk in the palm of your hand,just to help it think your hands are a good place to be(this is the only time I would give a ferret Milk)

All the best with it ;)

Mick.

I assume it is full grown ,if it is stop scruffing it!

Why? may i ask, i scruff my ferrets to clip their nails and check their teeth, some are 6 years old and they dont mind, its a common practice, also its one of the only safe ways of handling a ferret if its super nasty.

Biting ferrets, well different ferrets need different methods. If she is super vicious then id just keep handling her and telling her NO, scruff and a gentle shake may also help. Just like the mother would do to them.

However if she is just biting occasionally, then id scruff her, then either pinch or flick her nose whilst saying NO. She will learn not too, im with the cambridge ferret welfare and rescue society and these techniques have worked wonders with rescued ferrrets. What you dont want to do is flick a nose of a ferret which is terrified of hands as this will make matters worse.

Id buy a book on ferrets, or read up masses on the internet!

Alex

:blush:

I don't "scruff" adult ferrets, because I don't think its comfortable for them to have their full body weight hanging.

If you are scared of being bitten, then put your hand round their body from the top/back, with your thumb and index finger (lightly) round the throat and the rest of your hand supporting the body.

I would also think that by flicking or pinching her nose, you would quickly make a ferret nippy, or scared of hands.

It is not a dog and will not learn like a dog!

All you will do by causing it discomfort is to teach it your hands are things to be avoided,and if it cant avoid them, it will bite them because its the only defence it has.

The only way to tame a adult ferret is lots of gentle handling and lots of time ,

Mick.

Spot on Fenlander. :blush::blush::lol:

Hey if it works for you Ferretboy111 carry on :blush:

I've only had ferrets for 30+ years and so my knowledge is only very basic :yes:

by the way I clip my ferrets nails and check there teeth and find holding them gently is all I need to do,why do you have to scruff yours :lol: and if its such a common practice why do non of the other ferreters I know do it?

I've hand tamed many ferrets over the years and NEVER have and NEVER would scruff, shake,or hit a ferret on the nose :blush: its not necessary and to my mind would be very counter productive,unless you want to produce a ferret that sculks and dodges back to ground when you try to pick it up when working!

Just my oppinion all the best Mick.

wether people agree or disagree the first time the ferrets tried to bite just put the finger it had and pushed it deeper into the mouth no to far obviously as wouldnt want to cause harm just discomfort so the ferret associated the discomfort with biting and they are gentle as anything and never bit since

Thanks for all the advise guys :blush:

I found out from the vet at the rescue center that she had been found in somone's garden and handed in, nobody came to reclaim her.

She definatly hates hands, she will climb all over me and as soon as she gets to my hands she gets really agressive and attacks them.

Thanks again

wether people agree or disagree the first time the ferrets tried to bite just put the finger it had and pushed it deeper into the mouth no to far obviously as wouldnt want to cause harm just discomfort so the ferret associated the discomfort with biting and they are gentle as anything and never bit since

i agrre wif this,,works for me,dont know whether it l work with adult ferrets ,but worth a try ,but as for scruffing, never done that to any ferret ,but to be totaly honest if i had a ferret that was constantly biting ,and was getting on in age a bit,id have to kill it :good::good:

I agree with that method for young ferrets JJ ,and use it myself, :good:

but it could be painfull for the handler,if tryed on a large full grown hob! :good:

All the best Mick.

ye i would think so hope never to find out as i have two quite small but excellent working jills :D