Game load ?

The ducks on your list will need a non-toxic load if you are shooting them in England and Wales (a bit different in Scotland I understand). Looks like you might end up with three types at this rate. Apologies if I have got on my high horse over a simple oversight in your post.

ATB

Brian

Not an issue thanks Brian, when walking I wear my belt (which seems to have shrunk lately) in the belt i carry three 36g no 3 bismuth and two lead 36g bb alphamax and the rest are whatever stock I have at the time I've also got two ssg in my game bag but the prints rubbed off they have a red case with a white crimp seal so I believe they're also alphamax but have been there for some time so not 100% sure, I was a bit nervous putting bismuth through the greener but was told, once in a while is ok, and no larger than 3's but stick to 32g for the majority of it's use. I've shot my ground for 8 years and I'm pretty sure I know where and what the ducks will be, there being only one pond, so I load accourdingly, I also know that when the bitch stands beside a bank of bramble and growls it's time to drop in the bb, when she yelps in cover it's bunny time and if she starts to bounce about in cover get ready for mr long tail, high horses are there to be used not ignored good on you, maybe we'll go riding one day. No offence implied or taken cheers Steve

Not an issue thanks Brian, when walking I wear my belt (which seems to have shrunk lately) in the belt i carry three 36g no 3 bismuth and two lead 36g bb alphamax and the rest are whatever stock I have at the time I've also got two ssg in my game bag but the prints rubbed off they have a red case with a white crimp seal so I believe they're also alphamax but have been there for some time so not 100% sure, I was a bit nervous putting bismuth through the greener but was told, once in a while is ok, and no larger than 3's but stick to 32g for the majority of it's use. I've shot my ground for 8 years and I'm pretty sure I know where and what the ducks will be, there being only one pond, so I load accourdingly, I also know that when the bitch stands beside a bank of bramble and growls it's time to drop in the bb, when she yelps in cover it's bunny time and if she starts to bounce about in cover get ready for mr long tail, high horses are there to be used not ignored good on you, maybe we'll go riding one day. No offence implied or taken cheers Steve

Hi, do you mind me asking why you was nervous about bismuth? As far as I was aware it's always been ok to use in old English guns and I've personally not heard about max size being 3 shot?

When the lead ban came in there were so many rumours doing the rounds about suitable guns, age, design, choke size, I was so confused, so I stopped shooting duck, then a friend, who's opinion I value highly, said that bismuth through the gaffer would be fine, but no larger than 3's to be on the safe side, and to stay away from steel altogether, I've never needed anything larger than 3 for duck ,some would say it's too large, but I believe "if it 'aint broke don't fix it" so I stick with 3's. Also at £24 a box for bismuth it's the reason I only carry three cartridges in my belt ( I'm so tight only bats can hear me ****) If you have any other information on shot construction or powder charge for a 1966 greener gp then I would be thankful for your input . Cheers Steve

Guest cookoff013

When the lead ban came in there were so many rumours doing the rounds about suitable guns, age, design, choke size, I was so confused, so I stopped shooting duck, then a friend, who's opinion I value highly, said that bismuth through the gaffer would be fine, but no larger than 3's to be on the safe side, and to stay away from steel altogether, I've never needed anything larger than 3 for duck ,some would say it's too large, but I believe "if it 'aint broke don't fix it" so I stick with 3's. Also at £24 a box for bismuth it's the reason I only carry three cartridges in my belt ( I'm so tight only bats can hear me ****) If you have any other information on shot construction or powder charge for a 1966 greener gp then I would be thankful for your input . Cheers Steve

Nice shot.

Most pheasant shooters i know ( me included ) use 32 gram sipe in 5's . There spot on for those tall birds .

By tall, how tall?.

From memory Payne Gallway preferred 7 shot through a tight choke for 50 yard birds. Dense pattern placed on the head.

Personally 30gr of 5s through 1/4 and 1/2 is my load come hell or high water. It kills as far as I can place it. I have come to that is stages from 7.5, then 7s, then 6s, then 15 years ago 5s. Each step has resulted in few birds going on that are hit. The bloke who put me onto 5s now recons that 4s are even better.

A

Guest cookoff013

Nice shot. = EXPENSIVE SHOT

sub ounce shells can still be manufactured on or below par than bismuth shot.

like for like loadings its more expensive, but value shells can be made.