Who's the better shot ?

MAG1

HI guys

two shooters both 100 sporting,1 shoots 80/100 skeet choke.1 80/100 full choke,who's the better shot,using same carts same course.

cheers mark <_<

neither one of em, the guy who shot 81 for HOA is the better one, probably Pin :blink: :blink: :good:

why the question begs mine :o??????? lose a bet did we ??

Martin

Mark

It does give a larger pattern.You could also look at it another way.

The tighter choke may give an advantage at longer range targets around 40 odd yards,and the Skeet chokes may give you a slight advantage at close range 15-20 yards.So over a 100 bird shoot the advantages of either choke cancel each other out.(if you know what im tring to say <_< )

At the end of the day you've still got to put the shot in the right place to break the target no matter what choke you use.

Mark

The tighter choke may give an advantage at longer range targets around 40 odd yards,and the Skeet chokes may give you a slight advantage at close range 15-20 yards.So over a 100 bird shoot the advantages of either choke cancel each other out.(if you know what im tring to say :blink: )

At the end of the day you've still got to put the shot in the right place to break the target no matter what choke you use.

Gavk

So when i do a 100 bird shoot and get 70/100 with skeet choke and 45-50/100 full choke,in my mind i think i should stick with the full choke practise loads to become a better shot.

cheers mark <_<

Mark

The tighter choke may give an advantage at longer range targets around 40 odd yards,and the Skeet chokes may give you a slight advantage at close range 15-20 yards.So over a 100 bird shoot the advantages of either choke cancel each other out.(if you know what im tring to say ;) )

Gavk

So when i do a 100 bird shoot and get 70/100 with skeet choke and 45-50/100 full choke,in my mind i think i should stick with the full choke practise loads to become a better shot.

cheers mark :unsure:

you need to look at this a little like a game of golf, there are more than one club, why :)

distance.

an open or skeet choke is usualy used within 30yds, thats not to say you cant hit with anything else, it gives the better option, now as your target distance increases so should you choke restriction, this to keep the pattern tighter for the longer shot.

the further out the target, the more your pattern opens up, the more you need to restrcit it, its called consistency of shot patern.

as to sticking two different tubes in, thats a matter of preference as well, me i like two the same, then i know whats coming out the spout, and where its going.

now to your 70% with skeet and 90% with fulls, i think your name may be up there with Cat's this year,,,,,,with a little practice, dont over think the game, stick to a choke that will see you from one end of the shoot to the other, the less you have to worry about the better you will shoot.

good shooting :good::no:

Martin

If you have the option to change chokes then why restrict yourself?

It is true to say that for targets closer than 30yds you are making things harder for yourself with full choke.

Digweed likes full and full so he knows where he is on a bird (back edge, front edge) and it is true that if you put the barrels in the right place you will break just about any target with full chokes. It does mean you need to be far more accurate at closer ranges though.

For a close in bird I wouldn't dream of full choke, if I am slightly behind or in front I might not break it so I like to have the larger pattern a more open choke throws. Going back to the example of Digweed with full chokes above, if I chip the target with open chokes I won't know for sure if I was in front, behind, slightly high or slightly low - Digweed would because whichever side he hit would be hit with more pellets and give him an indication of where to adjust for the next shot.

For us mere mortals shooting club and commercial shoots I would say you want a much more open choke to give yourself more of a chance of breaking something.

Take for example skeet shooters, they use skeet/skeet. If they used full/full they would be making life very difficult. At the ranges you shoot skeet targets at you can powder any clay using skeet and no9 shot if you are in the right place, so why use anything else?

to the average shooter open chokes are an advantage, full and super full are for the likes of fualds and digweed etc. its more about technique and practise than choke, people use tighter chokes because digweed does, some will argue this point but, 32" barrels are becoming more and more fashionable and in use, all the top shots use them. but if digweed etc. went down to 26" barrels then you would see a trend for those. stick with 1/4 1/2 in a 12 and get used to your lead with those chokes.

:D Sorry for this one but who the hell is digweed ? :( Like i have already said i use full choke same carts on clay fur or feather and its an auto all that has happend is i have got used to it as will you find a choke find a cart and stick with it good luck

KW some people do live out there in noddy land mind you, either that or Winchester is a sarcastic old *** :lol:;);)

everyone knows hes the guy who played 007 in the movie " on her majesty's secret service" aint he :lol::lol:

Martin