SLR Hut

fat_jay

The price for your 700d does look suspiciously cheap. I'm on the market for a 5D Mkiii, which is floating around the £2k mark at the moment, but your site is showing it at £500 less.

Personally, as much as I'm rushing to open my wallet to buy the Mkiii, when a price is too good to be true, it probably is. You'll more than likely get the camera you asked for, but it'll be a grey market item, no warranty and any means of returns. The site mentions 'Import Duties included' which seems suspicious to me.

Whilst there's nothing wrong with having stuff imported, I get the feeling that these cameras are sourced from stolen or leaked stock from the manufacturer and sold at questionably low prices.

I could be wrong though, but http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/is a comparison site for pretty much every make and model of camera. SLR Hut are undercutting every single site and they're not listed on there.

Also, to add. The SKU code brings up a lot of results from Alibaba Dropshipping, namely this page. http://udsdropship.en.alibaba.com/product/1788508134-221584334/Canon_EOS_5D_Mark_III_Digital_SLR_Camera_Body_Only_International_Version_.html

Dropshipping is essentially a process where the retailer holds no stock and works as a middleman to provide a nice website and offers. When you buy the item, it leaves the dropshipper's warehouse and comes directly to you, with the SLRHut logos and branding on the boxes.

They are a front for a number of Chinese / Hong Kong companies. Grey imports at best so no OEM warranties. They are also notorious for phoning up and asking if you want spare batteries, cases, kitchen sink etc. I do know someone that purchased from them and the goods did arrive but it took some chasing up.

Looked them up on trust pilot, seems the products are shipped from the US, seem to have some good reviews though.

Why bother asking us if you're just going to go against the advice you're given. I actually can't believe I went to the effort of trying to help you out with decent information.

Trust Pilot - yeah.... That promises you'll get what you asked for :lol:

I'm happy to go on there and add a great review of SLRHut for you, if it helps matters

Edited by Billy.

There is some suspicion that they may have made many of the reviews on trust pilot themselves very much in the same way that Chinese sellers on EBAY can have 10,000 feedback in a few days. Type 'SLRHUT trustworthy' into Google for feedback from forums. The biggest issue is that you have to ship it back to the US if there is any warranty work.

Why bother asking us if you're just going to go against the advice you're given. I actually can't believe I went to the effort of trying to help you out with decent information.

Trust Pilot - yeah.... That promises you'll get what you asked for :lol:

I'm happy to go on there and add a great review of SLRHut for you, if it helps matters

Billy, take a pill or maybe have a nice calming walk in the fresh air! Deep breaths sunshine!

I was just pointing out i had found some reviews, thank you for your "decent" information.

Best Regards

Jay

Its most likely being brought in and most likely is missing the import tax side of things? I bought many camera related items in a similar fashion (obviously always paying the required taxes) but as said some (and only some) items are then without warranty in the UK. You then suffer the risk of sending it back to the US or Hong Kong should it develop a fault. You then run the further risk of being caught with import tax when it is shipped back to you as you will be unable to prove duty has been paid!

As an example I had a lens go back to Sigma UK numerous times, as it was a UK lens I had no issues. Had it been an import I am not sure where I would have stood? Sending a 120-300 f2.8 lens half way round the world would have been pricey!

Bottom line is if it is way cheaper than WEX or others, then there is a very good reason for it being cheaper, and not because someone is selling at a loss ;-) Buyer beware.

Don't be too quick to dis Hong kong camera sellers. Some are very good indeed. Try digitalrev

They will refund any duties and taxes you may pay on import - and they will pay for any warranty repairs locally. The pro canon kit like the 1D series have a worldwide warranty do no issues with that.

They do some ok reviews on youtube too.

Edited by aris

Don't be too quick to dis Hong kong camera sellers. Some are very good indeed. Try digitalrev

They will refund any duties and taxes you may pay on import - and they will pay for any warranty repairs locally. The pro canon kit like the 1D series have a worldwide warranty do no issues with that.

They do some ok reviews on youtube too.

Hear what you are saying Aris but he is going for a 700D, thus no international warranty. I have never used Digitalrev but they have been on the go for a long time now in fairness, but I have never heard of this SLR Hut before. The 700D 320quid with SLR Hut or 480quid with WEX, that's too big a gap for me. I would be wary going for the cheap shop as I would be concerned I would be left high and dry. But you pays your money and takes your chances ;-)

Anyone used these before, they seem to be the cheapest i can find for a canon 700d but never heard of them before.

Thanks in advance

Jay

You can also keep an eye on the canon outlet on ebay - they sell refurbs with full warranty. It is a bit of a pot luck what you find

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/canon-outlet

Just checked up and digitalrev no longer offer the duty/tax guarantee - so there may be a risk, though most seem to not pay any tax. Probably not worth the risk except for high end gear where the savings are greatest.

Edited by aris