The Highs......And the Lows.....

SNS

Well, I shot with clients on Thursday at a rather nice Estate just across from my house. There was a fair old wind blowing when we met for coffee and drew our pegs. I was on peg 6 for the first drive, which gave me a great view of the line, a decent view across to my guest on peg 4 and chance to shoot our regional chairman's birds who was on peg 5 next door. Partridge rocketed over at a height and speed that I had never before experienced. Naturally I missed the first 4 or 5 I shot at, but luckily everyone else seemed to be in a similar position.

Some hellpful coaching from my loader, who pointed out I was missing in front, enabled me to hit the next few birds and I finished the drive with 10 partridge and pheasant. And an enormous grin. I was on peg 1 for the next drive and boy were the partridge jet propelled. I dropped the first, stone dead from a fair old height, but missed the next few. I finished the drive with 14 partridge for 54 shots and an even bigger grin.

We stopped for elevenses of sausages, spicy squash soup and sloe gin.

The next drive was just the best shooting ever. I got through 72 shots for 13 pheasants and 2 partridge and some of them were just towering (for me at least !). I didn't shoot at a number of birds as I was stood applauding a pheasant one of the clients shot - simply the highest bird I've ever seen shot and he folded it up dead in the air. You can imagine the atmosphere over lunch as everyone was simply buzzing. The underfloor heating in the shoot lodge, the roaring fire and some rather fine wine helped too. I know the chef and he didn't let us down either.

I had little action on the drive after lunch as the strong winds sent the birds curling away. I had 2 partridge for 3 shots so concentrated on abusing everyone else's shooting as the strong winds were causing real problems.

We finished with 124 pheasants, 123 partridge and a jay. And some very very happy clients.

I then swapped cars and dashed to Pembrokeshire for 2 days woodcock shooting with my roving syndicate. What a disaster - I was walking gun on an early drive and got stuck in mud - my right foot sunk so far the mud was above my knee. And well into my boots. Along with copious amounts of water. Which didn't help my mood as I missed woodcock after woodcock after woodcock.

We missed elevenses and shot through to a very late lunch. At which point I had shot nothing for 10 cartridges. Some Guinness, some fabulous Pinot noir and a truly awful pizza led to an 'after party' back at my room where we proceeded to drink the champagne and sloe gin I had brought for elevenses.

I was a little 'tired' the next day but I had dry boots. I'd brought spare everything except for breaks, so had to brush the dried mud off in order to look presentable. Thereafter the day mirrored the previous, albeit without the getting stuck in mud bit. I had 8 woodcock come my way. 5 were eminently shootable. And I missed each and every one of them. Much to the amusement of my fellow guns. I was so despondent that I decided to concentrate on the 'last pigeon' sweep instead. The highest pigeon I have ever shot at presented itself. I slipped a 32g Black Gold no 6 into my gun and swung hard and fast. The pigeon dropped like a stone for a good 20 feet or so. And then flew off. Just as I was about to punch the air and whoop with joy. The guns on the pegs either side of me offered their condolences. or something like that.

And there my woodcock adventure finished. Woodcock less. Somewhat of a contrast to Thursday's shooting. And a total contrast to last years trip where I was top gun.

I'm off on a driven partridge day tomorrow and hope to rediscover some form......

Great stories and wonderful opportunities. I can just imagine you out on all three forays.

Remember never get a reputation as a good shot. The pressure on your shooting would be even more than you experienced on your woodcock days.

Happy times.

Sage advice, as ever, JDog. I think such a reputation is quite some way off though. But just as a precaution I made sure I missed my first 3 birds yesterday. And then jammed my gun just as the sky filled with pheasants.

I shot as many woodcock as I did on my foray to Wales too, but at least this time that was because none presented themselves

Seen it before, ultra high fast birds one day, takes a while to find them but when you do you are away. BUT when you come back to more average birds you are missing in front.

Mate of mine had 2 days in Devon, high 400 bird days, but 3 dropped out late so only 6 shooting, the day was in the ST some years ago. Three days later he is with me on 30 yard - 40 yard birds with an odd one higher and hit hardly a bird all day until the last drive when a snap shot early on got him going.

A