winchester yellowjackets .22 rimfire

I messed about with HV in my early days of owning a .22 Rimfire, and found they are a waste of your hearing. The problem with standard and HV stuff, is that it leaves the gun at supersonic velocity, but quickly drops passed the barrier into subsonic. This barrier is called 'Transonic'. (if I have done my homework right).

This causes some instability in the bullet, and can effect accuracy. I dropped a couple of foxes nicley with them, but then again I did the same with subsonics, and they all went down like a sack of spuds (clean well placed medium/close range headshots).

For rabbits, a .22 subsonic hollow is perfectly suitable, it will still be a through and through wherever you hit it, up to 100m. I have only ONCE recovered a HP subsonic from a rabbit after it went through the head, neck, heart/lungs, spine, and rested just under the skin half way down the rabbits body. I hit all the kill zones with one shot, one very dead rabbit :good:

So, mess about with them, but when you get bored of the noise, go back to what a rimfire .22 is ment to be.. a silent yet powerful 'vermin' tool :/ It really is a handy tool with such little noise.

i dont shoot them out of my 2 bolt cz and anchutz but for many years on the prarries i used them in my ruger 1022 with a 4power bushnell and i found them very acurate for a semiauto and i exterminated more animals with those yellow jackets in my old 10/22 probably than the rest of my guns together , i think in a semiauto they are brilliant i loved them made a good mess of prarie dogs gophers , rabbits and coyotes aswell as other undislosed critters still got the old 1022 with 25 round bannana clips in the back of the cabinent just cant bring myself to sell the old bitch stick it was my first boyhood gun

• 2 weeks later...
anyone had any experience with these, bought some to try through the CZ511, see what it thinks of them.

there for plinking and rabbiting every so often.

cheers

flash

Today I have to report a very worrying occurance, while out this morning having some practise with the Anshutz semi .22 using Rem yellow jackets I had a partial discharge and the bullet lodged approx 5" up the barrel. Has this happened to anyone else?

Had I pulled the trigger again..... it sounded just like a sub and at first I thought I must have mixed one in with the HV. I packed up and put the rod through it at home, out came the bullet.

I am going to return my stock of Rems to my dealer and change ammo, Its not the first time I have had misfires, I cant cope with the thought it may have taken my face off. :lol:

:/ D2D

anyone had any experience with these, bought some to try through the CZ511, see what it thinks of them.

cheers

flash

Today I have to report a very worrying occurance, while out this morning having some practise with the Anshutz semi .22 using Rem yellow jackets I had a partial discharge and the bullet lodged approx 5" up the barrel. Has this happened to anyone else?

Had I pulled the trigger again..... it sounded just like a sub and at first I thought I must have mixed one in with the HV. I packed up and put the rod through it at home, out came the bullet.

I am going to return my stock of Rems to my dealer and change ammo, Its not the first time I have had misfires, I cant cope with the thought it may have taken my face off. :/

that is real strange i have never had that problem and like i said earlier i have shot thousands out of my old ruger i supose it could happen with anybrand ,although i never liked remington firearms it wouldnt suprize me if their quality in munitions is going to **** , try federal ,winchester,or hornady when it comes to north american ammo thats what i like :D

cheers

flash

I am going to return my stock of Rems to my dealer and change ammo, Its not the first time I have had misfires, I cant cope with the thought it may have taken my face off. :D

that is real strange i have never had that problem and like i said earlier i have shot thousands out of my old ruger i supose it could happen with anybrand ,although i never liked remington firearms it wouldnt suprize me if their quality in munitions is going to **** , try federal ,winchester,or hornady when it comes to north american ammo thats what i like :/

Hi thanks for reply, I am suprised that more people have not commented on this,but perhaps its just as well as it shows it is not a widespread occurrence. :D

:D D2D

Did you notice anything wrong with the case?, I've had remmys before with a strip of case missing, like when the bullet has been seated the thin brass has been dragged down and split, and of course the powder has disappeared, leaving only the primer to drive the bullet :/ not good :D

Did you notice anything wrong with the case?, I've had remmys before with a strip of case missing, like when the bullet has been seated the thin brass has been dragged down and split, and of course the powder has disappeared, leaving only the primer to drive the bullet :D not good :/

No the case ejected normally, but into long grass so could not be found.

There was a half hearted report which, as I said, sounded similar to a subsonic round.

Now that I think back I asked the dealer a few months ago if anyone else had complained about misfires with Remmington yellow jacket ammo, he said he hadnt heard of it before.

Its certainly worth noting if you use this ammo.

i thought i would mention in this topic i found some remington target 22 shells so i bought a brick today and suprisingly they shot very nicely out of my CZ 452 although the anchutz didint like them much anyone else out their shoot them dont know how available they are :good: