low range help

WinchesterDave

Hi all sorry for this possibly long widned question but I'm just after some help.

Low range: gives you more torque (engines turning capability? Am i right?)

at slow speeds...but doesn't wheel spin occur when the torque input out weighs the available traction the tyres have with the ground? So why do you need more of it? I know the engine has an easier time turning the gearbox when it's in low range and that helps to get over obstacles like the small chainset gear on a mountain bike but if you have more torque won't you have wheel spin?

(I must sound like a right novice haha I do appoligise)

I also need some help with gear ratios.... for an example if you have a ratio of 2:1 that means the drive shaft turns twice.for the driven wheels to make one full turn? So the bigger the first number the lower the ratio and slower you'll go?

The image below are the ratios for a Suzuki Jimny.

Going off the third set of ratios from the left, at the bottom it has transfer gear ratios..high is 1.000 and low is 2.002....

How do these two affect the over all gear ratio...for example 1st gear 4.425 what does the high ratio and low ratio from T case do To this?

IMG_20150201_211902_zps4eu1nmxr.jpg

I do apologise and whatever you can answer I will be happy with...

thank you.

Dave

Edited by WinchesterDave

Easier to start looking at the taller gears. Look at the fifth gear aspect, it's 1.000, that means for each full input revolution (1.000 of engine revolution) the output will be 1 revolution.

Then look at first gear, for every 4.425 input revolutions (just under four and a half full turns from the engine) there will be 1 output revolution, in the case of most 4x4 the output will feed a transfer box.

Transfere box is the same thing but the input revolution is coming from the gear box and the output will be feeding the differentials, same then goes for the diff ratios

Simply, the low ratio transfer box allows you to use less torque at low engine rpm and keep the wheels turning slowly without having to slip the clutch to get out of low grip conditions. You can use the higher engine rpm to put more torque into the wheels to climb steep inclines etc. However, with experience you'll know when and what gear/rpm to use to get out of most situations.

Care must be taken as with some big 4x4s especially when changing gear in low range, too much torque to the wheels at the wrong time and you could break a half shaft.

The Jimny's transfer box is chain driven and if you use the low range 4WD too often on ground with good gip you'll stretch the chain. The result is a machine gun rattle when pulling hard.

I hope this is of help

Dave.

Hi` The old type high/low boxes select 4 wheel drive when you select low, this helps to share the increased torque between axles. The torque then is a great help when pulling heavy loads but for mud snow ect. 2 gear high box has always worked for me.