Snow Doe & A Fox.

Elk hunter

So far this week I have not bothered to work but had a hole lot of fun. Monday started with my second Zero Range Day and thoroughly enjoyed the company of one of my new shooting friends Les. The banter lasted all day even at the meal late afternoon. But once we all had parted our separate ways myself along with Neil, Oliver and Joe plus the dog headed north to Scotland stalking.

The drive up the M 6 was uneventful till we reached the borders. Snow all over the hills and the roads got worse the further in land we went. But we had booked a log cabin 15 minutes from my lease so all warm and snug for the night.

Cold Outside.

246ecb503b5815471b62f5121a842d6f.jpg

Tuesday morning Joe and I were up and out before light 5.30 am. Up on the land we had had an extra dusting of snow for good measure. Joe was joining my deer stalking syndicate so I was the plan was to do a boundary walk but it looked to be a warm day when the sun came up. Lots of tracks in the fresh snow but I feared with the snow and full moon the deer had been feeding before we had arrived.

Boundary Walk.

c147d45dfa5560f1bd5af8133329e6d8.jpg

But no matter as I had work to do, where the boundary was and rides went ect. By nine we had bumped a buck on the clear fell, to busy talking! Not stalking. Then coming down a ride I caught a glance of a large white butt of a roe doe. She was just round a bend and with the snow being a little crispy there was no way to stalk into it. Thought it was only fair to let Joe take it as he had never shot one.

Told him to edge out into the ride and be ready as he was only going to get one chance. So he lay down ready to shoot while I stayed back in the tree line. It must have been a good few minutes before the doe turned and presented her self of a clean shot. Although I did not see the impact I could feel Joe's excitement.

As we walked down the hill I could see a clear blood trail into the trees, only about 6 foot in but very dead. No medal but two happy stalkers. After the gralloch and as it was Joe that shot it was only fair I he carried it back and to the hanging tree.

Snow Doe.

b6f2d7ee52501ede551ab7e6e928502c.jpg

Hanging Tree.

a3018a09f07ecbc6a2760755366324d7.jpg

Once back at the lodge breakfast was served and a cup of tea. After a couple of hours rest all four of us headed back out onto the hill. All going our separate ways, the dog and I sat over looking some clearfell as two does were seen earlier in the day. It was way cold and bleak but I was toasty out the wind. Not a fan of sticks but they are very useful when in a static position.

Bleak.

4f1c3a1458d3a4e7fc84870e22c805dc.jpg

But Warm.

a07d11c521391680f45831ed3cd0f7d6.jpg

About 2.30 I noticed something moving a couple of hundred yards away. In the binos a fox kept appearing and disappearing between the brash. Weaving in and out never stopping even when I squeaked. I could not move so just had to wait. Finally within 100 yards I just had to shout to get the fox to stop. Armed with a 25-06 I was over gunned but a squeeze of the trigger, the there was no suffering. One more down.

Good Result.

eb21191d31585c05893655662ee46fcb.jpg

Dog Bought His Snow Camo.

c8aa5da4bad7a446818dfdc642cb1b9a.jpg

By 4pm I'd had enough for the day and headed back. Oliver and I sat in front of the tv while Joe and Neil went foxing in the evening. Unfortunate but yesterday was really bleak, cold with snow flurries. Not a stalking day but perfect for drinking tea, telling stories and taking the mick in a warm lodge.

Started To Warm Up.

e4097759ee00a189fd046832e6abdefc.jpg

So I've had three top days out and now this week and at home with toys to clean and cloths to wash, I'm now thinking of 1st April "Buck Season".

Andrew.