quick Q for the sparkies amongst us

paul1966

my sister has a single electric oven that she wants replacing, at the moment it has a 3 pin plug on it and is plugged into a socket behind the cooker, the one she wants to replace it with is a neff brand which requires 16 amps supply, the cooker is 0.95 kwh. would it be ok to replace the socket with a 20a double pole switched cooker connection and hard wire the cooker to that. there is a supply direct to to cooker that is 2.5mm squared cable, the cooker is on its own mcb which is 16a, the supply just feeds the cooker, the hob is gas. any thoughts on this?

Are you reading the power rating of the oven correctly, you're saying its only 950watts??

If that's the case you definitely don't need a 20amp switch, if you want to hardwire it rather than use a plugtop you'll need to use a switch fuse spur, and if it really is only a maximum draw of 950 watts a 5amp fuse in the switch fuse spur would suffice.

How do neff word the electrical connection requirements in the manual?

There should be an isolation switch feeding the outlet behind the cooker too, not wired directly from the fuse board to behind the oven.

the power i have taken from the website selling the oven, funilly enough on another website it states 2.85kwh so i would take the 2.85 kwh rather than the 0.95, also i plan to replace the 3 pin socket with a 20a cooker connection point.

That sounds more like it. I'd still be fitting a fuse spur with a 13amp fuse rather than a straight switch, though like I said a switch behind an oven is of little use.

Beware, here, that you are reading/understanding the website jargon correctly. An amount of energy can be expressed as kWh. Power is in kW. The site may be comparing efficiencies rather than current draw. Remember, too that the 6mm cable quoted above is actually six square millimetres in cross sectional area, not a diameter per eg.

one last question, as the oven does not come with a mains cable, would this be suitable-

1m. Flexible, rubber sheathed and PVC insulated, blue, brown and green and yellow 3-core cable. BS 6500.

• Heat Resistant
  • Conductor Area: 2.5mm²
  • 1m Reel
  • Insulated

That's fine

If the rating is indeed 2.85kw a 13 amp fuse spur would be fine yes. The majority of single electric ovens (fan assisted) are under 3kw.

The 2.85 kW would be the maximum the cooker would draw with a cooker you can take into account diversity so a 13 amp is more than sufficient

That's fine

The 2.85 kW would be the maximum the cooker would draw with a cooker you can take into account diversity so a 13 amp is more than sufficient

You're repeating what I'd already said, that a 13 amp fuse spur would be fine :good:

one last question, as the oven does not come with a mains cable, would this be suitable-

1m. Flexible, rubber sheathed and PVC insulated, blue, brown and green and yellow 3-core cable. BS 6500.

• Heat Resistant
  • Conductor Area: 2.5mm²
  • 1m Reel
  • Insulated

That cable would be perfectly adequate yes :good: