Scales

Reading to that supposed 'degree of accuracy' or 'readability' to the nearest 0.1mg? There is a subtle difference.

To be accurate, at the level quoted you need a semi micro analytical balance reading to five decimal places (0.01mg). Neither a common, nor cheap, item!

I think that if you are not aware of this, then you are likely unable to use it properly, in order to achieve the accuracy indicated.

Do remember that every reading will have an error of at least one division and there will be two readings for any mass measured, just for starters.

Can anyone reccomend some reloading scales accurate to 0.002 grain. (2 thousandths)/ 0.0001 gram (1 thousandths).

Cheers

Why do you need scales of that accuracy? I like my scales but that sort of accuracy isn't necessary (or even desirable) for reloading. For good consistent long range accuracy, and I'm talking Open F-Class with a 5 inch "V" bull at 1,000yds type accuracy, many shooters will argue that 1/10th of a grain is good enough.

The RCBS Chargemaster, and other of it's type, typically weigh to a tenth of a grain and any good beam scale will do the same. If you want better accuracy than that, and I can quite understand if you do, there's no point in looking for better accuracy than a single kernel of powder.

There are about 4.7 - 5 kernels of Varget powder to 1/10th of a grain ie. 50 kernels to a grain, therefore a scale with better resolution than .02 grain will mean you would have to cut single kernels to read the desired weight.

This is a video of a set of my beam scales reading to a single kernel of Varget powder.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnVOoGd1bDU

Reading to that supposed 'degree of accuracy' or 'readability' to the nearest 0.1mg? There is a subtle difference.

To be accurate, at the level quoted you need a semi micro analytical balance reading to five decimal places (0.01mg). Neither a common, nor cheap, item!

I think that if you are not aware of this, then you are likely unable to use it properly, in order to achieve the accuracy indicated.

Do remember that every reading will have an error of at least one division and there will be two readings for any mass measured, just for starters.

I need the stated accuracy for my 3rd year mechanical engineering degree project. I have access to more accurate scales but don't have the ability to use them both in the same location. The accuracy level has been dictated to me unfortunately. The lee powder scales seem to only be accurate to 0.1 grain so not good enough.

That will be this years student grant taken care of when you find a set . I don't believe you are required to buy your own set does the uni not have a set you can use because they should . This is outside the remit for normal student requirement .

Edited by deershooter

That will be this years student grant taken care of when you find a set . I don't believe you are required to buy your own set does the uni not have a set you can use because they should . This is outside the remit for normal student requirement .

Your prob not far off to be honest. I do have a little more flexibility as this is a student led project as opposed to a university directed one. (Means I choose something that interests me instead). I do have a sponsorship for the project (I'm a mature student) but just scoping if anyone maybe owns or has used anything recently that measure to 0.1mg. I'm looking for something similar to this http://www.toplinedigitalscales.com/Micro-Precision-Scale--EXTREME-Precision-up-to-01mg--3-Models--FREE-SHIPPING-p294.html

Hopefully within about £1500 budget.

That is only a normal standard assay balance. Reads to 0.1mg but less than that for absolute accuracy.

Those used to be my regular day to day instrument. Most decent laboratories will have at least one. Schools may have one for 'A' level science, although science is so dumbed down these days that they likely only use three figure top pan balances!

Typically, one might pick up the holding vessel from an assay balance with little addition of mass from fingers; with a semi-micro you need to use extra tools for handling, need to equilibrate items for temperature, etc.

I remember one bright spark weighed acetic anhydride in an unsealed capillary pipette and clearly did not get a consistent reading - because they found every sample bottle in the area contaminated with tritium! Cost us all pee bottles for health physics testing! They had to decontaminate the beta scintillation counter as well, I believe. A rather costly mistake by someone, who was paid twice as much as me as I recall!

That is only a normal standard assay balance. Reads to 0.1mg but less than that for absolute accuracy.

Those used to be my regular day to day instrument. Most decent laboratories will have at least one. Schools may have one for 'A' level science, although science is so dumbed down these days that they likely only use three figure top pan balances!

Typically, one might pick up the holding vessel from an assay balance with little addition of mass from fingers; with a semi-micro you need to use extra tools for handling, need to equilibrate items for temperature, etc.

I remember one bright spark weighed acetic anhydride in an unsealed capillary pipette and clearly did not get a consistent reading - because they found every sample bottle in the area contaminated with tritium! Cost us all pee bottles for health physics testing! They had to decontaminate the beta scintillation counter as well, I believe. A rather costly mistake by someone, who was paid twice as much as me as I recall!

Oh dear.

Thanks I never thought to try other routes to sourcing.