blackpowder calibre choice

sterling

Evening all,

I wondered if the dirty front-stuffers amongst you would have any advice for my first forays into the dark art?

I'm looking for a percussion BP muzzleloader smoothebore long gun (quite a mouthful I know). It'll just be to take on my strolls for the odd small game opportunity (with birdshot) and for shooting patched ball at the range. Can I ask what calibre/gun you might recommend? For instance, would a little .45 be the equivalent of my modern .410 in effectiveness or would I need a much larger bore to bring down game with shot? I'm not looking to replace the 12 gauge, just a little messy fun and something else to tinker with. :)

Many thanks for any help!

My 45 is great with shot to 25-30yds. The equal of a 410 really. I put around 5/8oz in it. A lb of lead casts a lot of .440" balls!

Mine is a Kentucky smooth rifle.

DSC08796_zpsntc9osi1.jpg

I do have a Zoli buffalo hunter in .58 smoothbore which I find not so ideal for wing shooting but for stationary shots it shoots an oz very well and is near to being like a rifle to sixty yards with a patched .562" ball. Get in touch if you want to know more.

This is it.

SAM_1018_zpsaaf50520.jpg

U.

Henry krank sells new muzzle loader rifle and shotguns even a double barrel one was tempted but got cinfused with like of 45 58 68 cal the only ones I know of same as today cal was the 12g

Don't fret, with a muzzleloader you just buy or make a punch like a leather punch a bit bigger than the bore and stamp your corn flake box, old leather or felt hats and simply use a few as a wad.

Thanks for the replies chaps. Those are some great photos Underdog - just the kind of thing I had in mind! Nice to know the .45 is a viable wingshooter too because I've just spotted a used pedersoli which sounds like it will make a fine game-getter while on my walks. It seems like the .58 would be more gun than I need but it's interesting to see how the muzzleloaders' payloads compare to the modern gauges.

I think I might just make myself a period longhunter outfit to go with the musket too. As if I don't scare dog walkers enough without looking like an 18th century frontiersman.

m3uqb.jpg

Thanks for the offer of advice U, I will probably get in touch with a question or two as they arise when I get going. But first, off to get a gun... :)