land rover series 3 88" csw restoration project.

viking

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know it's going to cost a good chunk of cash. There's a few about. I think it's a choice of barn find but as you say there pretty rare now. Or a taty one that needs a good restoration doing on it. But as anything. It will be worth it when it's done. Did think about a forward control. Buts as you say. They are one hell of a lump and probably wouldn't fit in my garage.

A series 3 with full soft top and in Atlantic blue..or in Bronze green with a Capstan winch on the front ...would be a joy to behold......

Have you seen the price of original Capstans these days, geez where do they get those prices from.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rear-Capstan-Winch-Landrover-Pto-/262405666665?hash=item3d1898b769:g:FuIAAOSw9KpXArEH

This one sold for over 6K - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-Land-Rover-Series-1-2-3-80-86-Rear-PTO-Aeroparts-Capstan-Winch-/361512537015?hash=item542bd38bb7:g:ZJAAAOSwv9hW6XYK

Edited by Fuji Shooter

Thats good money, definitely going to keeep my eyes in the nettles.

Having done one of these don.t go thinking it will be as easy and cheap as a Series 3

iv been told this off a few people, much more money to buy the land rover, parts cost more and are harder to find, my plans may change depending on whats about when im ready to buy, it would be easier with something outshout a roof and sides, and also not having a roof lining and soft dash to worry about,

had a phone call from the paint shop this morning telling me my bits and bats are ready to pick up and if i had anything else fore him, i cant keep up with him ate the moment, had my bulkhead for nearly 10 weeks, not he is turning things round in 2 days.. not that im complaining :good::good::good:

post-9513-0-34136900-1462030308_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-50484100-1462030315_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-22466800-1462030398_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-88138500-1462030404_thumb.jpg

hard and fast indead, if i could just get my mate here for a full day instead of a couple of hours here and there we would get so much done,

brake pipes still need doing, wiring, few bits and bats on the engine and bulkhead,

and as for the paint, iv no idea :lol:

can i ask you what you might sell this for when finished.......everybody on the web can see what you have done/doing to it..........

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

good question ditchie, 2 month ago i had a tot up and i was at £7300, iv still the painting to pay for that could be between 2-4k iv no idea, headlining to have made and all the window surrounds re made, new backing plates, foam and covered, could be a good £500 for that, new wheels and tyres £5-600 and plenty more bits and bats to buy, could easily end up costing £13,000 - £15,000 to complete, now looking at the prices on ebay over the last 7 months, iv never seen a county station wagon, done up or not done up, what iv seen is s11 s11A's and s111, ranging form 50% restored to 100% restored price ranging between £13,000 up to £20,000, not saying there worth that but who knows, even seen a s11a 109 for £35.000 yes, £35,000, there is a s3 csw at silkstone on ebay for £17.500 but to me it looks ****, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1982-Land-Rover-series-3-factory-county-station-wagon-petrol-/272100969657?hash=item3f5a7b4cb9:g:haIAAOSwQYZW0h2K

and this for £20,000 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1974-M-Land-Rover-Series-III-Petrol-Factory-Station-Wagon-/272100969647

if i dont lose any money i will be happy in what iv done, if i make some money then ill be very happy,

so im answer to your question, iv no idea really but i will be in no rush so i think i will be putting it up for £20,000 and see what happens, the good thing is when some one comes to look at it there shouldnt be any bad point for them to pick up on, and it weill really look the part, i hope :good: anyones thoughts on pricing this up will be more than welcome :good::good:

the reason i ask is not cause im interested in profit ...its cause ...whatever you deciede to do do next will be based on what you got for Bonny..............the reason why this or your thread is so good is that you have never done this before...and just shows what someone can do with a bit of guts and humour.... :good::good::good:

iv been told this off a few people, much more money to buy the land rover, parts cost more and are harder to find, my plans may change depending on whats about when im ready to buy, it would be easier with something outshout a roof and sides, and also not having a roof lining and soft dash to worry about,

Also to get big money back the parts you source have to be year specific which makes it a lot more work. You get some real rivet counters turn up when you come to sell it on who can tell that your tun was from a 54 and not a 53. :unhappy: