Oh well! Am I being too polite and considerate?

army646

What bits of Alko/whole crop wheat I have on my permissions I have been watching like a hawk for the last few weeks. Numbers starting to build up nicely in the last week or so. Biding my time waiting till the crops off.

Have a look at one bit on Saturday morning, two guns on shooting the standing crop, two out of control labs crashing through the crop. I stand back and watch for a while, I have not been noticed. I was watching the son of the guy who has permission, at first I thought knocking something into the tree, to guy line the poles to stabilise the net in the wind. I then realised what he was doing, he was bashing a woodie's head in against the tree to dispatch it. This smacks to me of a complete lack of respect for the birds and the crop.

I will not shoot standing crop due to the risk of damage to the crop but also the risk of rotting corpses left in the crop, which has been linked to Botulism in the animals it is fed to. The only time I do shoot while the crop is still on is when it has been flattened.

Any way Sunday morning having a drive round, spot a rotary on one of my other permission on a tiny field right next to the road and very near to the village. I have not shot this field in respect of the disturbance it would cause to the local residents. We are talking a distance of not much over 100 yards.

The landowners in question get a card, a home made pigeon pie and a bottle of nice malt every Christmas.

Bit cheesed off! I reckon I am being too nice, what do you reckon?

How do you mean, being too nice?

It's great to have your ethics/consideration of where and when you shoot etc.....unfortunately if you haven't got the sole rights to the pigeon shooting it does mean you'll more than likely miss out on quite a few occasions as they blatantly don't show the same regard!

The first instance of the lad with the pigeon and the tree does sound bloody awful sportsmanship and how shooting can get a bad name (if someone else had seen him etc).

Ultimately though, you're just someone who has permission to shoot the ground along with others and in my opinion it's not really your place to question them, well not unless you're prepared for some confrontation!