5 hours in casualty - Happy Sunday

ghosthunter

I have a pal who has been asking if I would teach him the basics of riding a motorcycle so I figured why not, Ill take him out in the field at the back on my enduro bike. What harm can that do... nice and soft grass everywhere just in case..

The bike wasn't the most user friendly in that its a KTM 250 2 stroke however I eventually got him going in laps of the field. Its on an incline so gained confidence going a tad quicker uphill even making it into 3rd gear but not in the power band thankfully. Everything went to plan then we went inside for a cuppa so he could relax a bit and recover from any possible tiredness.

About 40 minutes later he wanted to go back out and get a few more laps in so I took him back out, this is where things changed because he had more confidence this time and on the second lap just at the top of the hill he realised he had to slow down because he had a corner to take soon so applied the front brake which would have been ok if he had let go of the throttle....... however he didnt and the front wheel locked up whilst the back was pushing hard. Next thing, the front tucked under him and down he went like a sack of spuds disappearing into the long grass...

I ran up the hill to find him sat on the floor with the bike still running, handlebars bent and a tad whingy.... Understandable because the doctors in the hospital diagnosed broken ribs and a broken collarbone..

Moral of this story is that you should always try to keep your confidence level at a similar height to your ability level or it could get painful :whistling:

We had planned a shooting weekend next weekend but its going to be at least 6 weeks for the poor sod now. They suggested it might need pins and plates to fix the collarbone and then made him an appointment in 10 days time when it will have already have started healing.... ho hum... NHS cutbacks probably.

After racing 7 years on hare and hound and motorcross I got over confident and broke my wrist, ribs and fingers lol. I raced for another few years then grew up at 29 and sold it as I'm selfemployed with 3 kids now. I was a decent rider but rode past my capabilitys that day.

I've been knocked out and stretchered off tracks with suspected broke hip /pelvis .

Hope your mates ok and not put off bikes

After racing 7 years on hare and hound and motorcross I got over confident and broke my wrist, ribs and fingers lol. I raced for another few years then grew up at 29 and sold it as I'm selfemployed with 3 kids now. I was a decent rider but rode past my capabilitys that day.

I've been knocked out and stretchered off tracks with suspected broke hip /pelvis .

Hope your mates ok and not put off bikes

My pal is 49 years old lol... that said he still wants to go again when he is fixed! It isnt the falling off that hurts its the stopping fast bit :)

Edited by ghosthunter

I had a husky cr 500 bloody thing tried to kill me every time I rode it best thing I did was sell it

They are a real weapon but I think everyone into dirt bikes wanted one at some point... I saw a nice restoration job where someone had supermoto'd one of them.. I just didnt have the 3k or so to have a go at it.