10 bore home loads

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers tony r, Iv only used multi metal up to date(brand new to reloading) .. Just ordered sam1.. But more than happy to try any other loads/components

Any data you use multi mettals in you can sub TPS as far as i know, i have done this never seen a difference, physicaly the same .

When reloading for your 10 bore or any other gun for that matter you have to find the right combination case, primer, powder, wad, buffer, crimp & choke when all these things are achieved then you will get good patterns at maximum range with your chosen gun. Alliant Steel powder then A381 are good powders to load when using steel if you can at this present time find a supply as they have not been imported from the USA for about 3 years. All guns even some of the same make pattern different with steel and non toxic shot thats why its important to tailor the load for your own gun. Wad damage usual occurs when the wad exits the barrel, the wad is only a carrier a way of getting the shot out of the breach to the end of the barrel without damaging the barrel or deforming the shot in the case of a lead load, the blast that follows when the wad exits the barrel is what damages the wad seat and the pettles fold backwards causing retardation of the wad and the shot then separates and all being well onto its target. I do believe multi metal wad have been discontinued TPS are still available Claygame CG 105? wads are very similar to the TPS but I dont think they`ve had any in stock for ages.

Think its an existing wad given a CG number probably TPS or Multi metal. CG did this traditionaly Charlton did this with CG 350s which AFAK are RSI sam 1 wads, Ian charlton once mentioned to me he was looking at having some ten wads made up, but have no idea if this ever went ahead. I think back then they got some ten cases made up i think they were listed for a short time, Did anyone ever get any of these CG 10 cases?

Got lots of old lead loads i did back in the day, Mostly blue dot HS7 And Win 571 Its getting the powder now, Some AO loads in ten might be your best option these days what with the american powder shartages as they are.

Have you any blue dot. ?

Yep well spotted , I am not a fan of anything on top of the shot , not sure if that will improve things as much as they need improving though.

I'll give this a try,

Most of the steel manuals here advocate strongly against placing an over column wad it will indeed open up the pattern. If you are trying to get a better crimp do as other posters have recommended and put the spacer under the shot inside the wad. I use nail polish to seal up the tops of casings to prevent moisture infiltration.