TV experts help

Pushkin

Hi folks looking to replace my CELCUS tv as it is no longer willing to start up Apparently a known problem.. Had a look at the 32" Polaroid Led tv that Asda have at £139 but have been on the websites and it has not got a good reputation. Curry's have a Seiki 32" LED with DVD and seems to have a good rep. Its really just for X Box etc and the occasional TV. Anyone seen one in person or had experience of what it is like in use? We don't need it for our main viewing as we have a good Panasonic Viera that is brilliant.

Regards

Pushkin ;)

Edited by Pushkin

I don't know who makes both of the TV's that you mention, but it is highly likely they are either from Vestel or Haier who are contract manufacturers for all sorts of brand names.

The most important thing is what one looks the best to your eyes and also who will offer the best customer service experience if it goes wrong.

My own experience is that Dixons Carphone (Curry's) could be a menace to deal with, but if you push them they pretty much always cave in. I have never dealt with Asda in consumer electronic returns so don't know what they are like.

Okay Bryan 3, I'm all ears - please come back and let me know what I need to do to sort this? The Celcus TV has an amazing picture quality and its ashame if its cream cracker ed!

Gordon, Asda are absolutely terrible as far as these Polaroid TVs are concerned: Appears that Asda is Polaroid :no:

Cheers Guys.

Pushkin :good:

OK.

At just over 3 years old my Samsung lcd 42" went funny. It was like there was a ghost turning it on or off. Once took the dog out and the tv was on when I got back. I knew that it was off when I left it. A few weeks later it was switching off while we sat there.

Eventually it refused to switch on at all.

Samsung wanted me to pay £75.00 to an independent engineer for a report and then they might give me a free repair.

After Googling and youtubing Samsung tv faults,it turned out to be a design fault that they were trying to play-down.

There is an American lady fixing hers on youtube.

I bought 5 new capacitors from CPC Farnell (less than a fiver). It took longer to remove the back than to remove the old caps.

The new ones took 5 minutes to solder in,then 10 minutes to screw the back on.

I took the tv back indoors and plugged it in,turned away from tv thinking it was going to explode in my face.

Booger me in reverse- it switched on and worked fine. Its now 7+ yars old and still going.

My brother has a slightly smaller model that had the same fault at 2 years old had free repair after paying 24 months @ £12.00 warranty scheme.

I hope yours is the same and you can fix it for £5-6.00.

Good luck.

Bryan.

Great stuff Bryan 3 had a look on You tube and yes it is similar to some of the downloads there. Already tried getting the back off - turns out the front has to come off first to get to the board itself. Local TV engineers - nah - prices up here are not good for work like this - can be cheaper to buy another set - or do it myself. Before I get carried away though, I will try calling the helpline again and see if I can get through this time. I'll let you know how I get on.

Pushkin :yes::)

Good luck Pushkin.

Tv prices have come down a bit making it uneconomical to repair in a lot of cases.

Mine was on special at Currys £750.00 down to £500.00. That was a lot of money even reduced.

The previous tv was from Tesco,less that £80.00 if I remember correctly.

When I got home I thought-what have you done spending that much on television. And I still regret it and the equivelent model now is probably £150.00 now,I dare not even check.

Have a look at the caps and you will soon see if they are swollen but be careful as they sometimes hold a massive charge of lecky.

Get a cheap soldering iron and a magnifying glass to read the specs printed on the caps.

ATB Bryan.