FAC/SGC no good as proof of ID?

Scully

Fair enough Mick. I can see from re-reading my post I've given the impression I was implying you were proved wrong; my apologies, that is not what I meant.

What I meant is that I think it was more a matter of you accepting that government policy states it is an acceptable form of ID, despite what some forces may advise. You also perhaps missed the part in which I told the cashier that she couldn't copy the certificate as you claim some do.

I don't think I jumped too soon; your comment was obviously aimed at someone.

You may have to reread my first post again as I never mentioned banks I was saying in general it is not advised by some forces to use for Id purpose.some places do want to take copies for their files some don't.I recently had to get some certified copies of Id for an over zealous solicitor and it never even entered my mind to use the sgc. Also I would say the vast majority of the population would not know what a sgc/fac looks like so why would they trust the paper you show yet the vast majority know what a driving licence looks like.with the amount of fraud and crime these days with cards being cloned etc.Why would you want a total stranger who now knows your address to also know what you keep there.I am afraid more than ever we do not know who the criminals are these days.I will always err on the side of caution.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I the only one who finds it hilarious that in todays paperless society, when I like many others, no longer receive bank statements, utility bills and such like by post and not being in receipt of any benefits and with my passport being away for renewal the only permissible documents I have are my driving license and FAC.

So, bearing this in mind, I'm off to a bank tomorrow to open an account and impress a pretty girl at the till when I flash my FAC !!

What is it that you find so hilarious about not getting paper bank statements or utility bills. They still have to be paid

What is it that you find so hilarious about not getting paper bank statements or utility bills. They still have to be paid

The fact that you and the MET say don't use FAC as ID but as of this moment, should I be required to do so, all I could offer that is acceptable is my FAC and DL and the fact that banks are promoting paperless yet demand a paper origional for ID purposes.

The fact that you and the MET say don't use FAC as ID but as of this moment, should I be required to do so, all I could offer that is acceptable is my FAC and DL and the fact that banks are promoting paperless yet demand a paper origional for ID purposes.[/quote

Sorry but I don't say don't use it.If you wish to do so then feel free.I do say that I would not that's all.on the paperless subject I do believe that it is your right to still receive paper bills and statements. However don't take that as Gospel as I may be wrong.

You may have to reread my first post again as I never mentioned banks I was saying in general it is not advised by some forces to use for Id purpose.some places do want to take copies for their files some don't.I recently had to get some certified copies of Id for an over zealous solicitor and it never even entered my mind to use the sgc. Also I would say the vast majority of the population would not know what a sgc/fac looks like so why would they trust the paper you show yet the vast majority know what a driving licence looks like.with the amount of fraud and crime these days with cards being cloned etc.Why would you want a total stranger who now knows your address to also know what you keep there.I am afraid more than ever we do not know who the criminals are these days.I will always err on the side of caution.

Whether it's a bank or whatever, and whether they want to make a copy or not, they shouldn't; it's Crown copyright.

As for the rest of your post I can only refer you to my post as in post number 22 regarding strangers knowing where I live and what I own. She was a bank employee, and while I understand criminals can and do come from all walks of society, her credentials are head and shoulders above some of the people who know what I have and where I keep what I have.