Duck Lice

pob

I've been finding what I think is a lice on mallard and teal this season. I'm not sure that I've seen them before.

I'd guesstimate about 30% have them, but usually just the one. I think they are in the wing feathers.

Horrible things and tough to squash. Is it anything to be worried about?

Usually see a few at the start of the season most years but this season, so far, there have been more than usual. I have never worried about them, her indoors doesn't like it much when I find them up my arms later on after plucking. Its mostly wigeon I see them on but I have shot 2 pinks and a greylag that I thought were injured but turned out to be absolutely covered in lice, and I mean covered, they were so poorly they couldn't fly.

Usually see a few at the start of the season most years but this season, so far, there have been more than usual. I have never worried about them, her indoors doesn't like it much when I find them up my arms later on after plucking. Its mostly wigeon I see them on but I have shot 2 pinks and a greylag that I thought were injured but turned out to be absolutely covered in lice, and I mean covered, they were so poorly they couldn't fly.

Chances are the birds were sick and unable to preen themselves rather than the lice making them ill

Most duck will carry a few feather lice on them. When I used to ring a lot of duck we looked into this and sprayed the duck with cage bird lice killer and put the duck in a carboard box for 10 minuets. There could be up to 25 dead lice in the bottom of the card board box.

What happens if someone eats one of these ducks shortly after they were medicated?

Any lice in the feathers should be removed when you pluck the bird. There other parasites that burrow under the skin though propper cooking should kill them any infected bird is best not eaten.

Sorry I meant how long do the drug residues last in the meat after the bird has been treated? Only asking out of curiosity. I shot an wigeon once that was ringed only a week earlier. Just makes you think

Edited by wildfowler.250

It's a aerosol spray used on cage birds that you can buy in any pet shop so not ingested.

Sorry I meant how long do the drug residues last in the meat after the bird has been treated? Only asking out of curiosity. I shot an wigeon once that was ringed only a week earlier. Just makes you think

As Penelope said , the spray will not effect the meat in any way. It just covers the feathers like a hair spray and will wash off once the bird lands on water if its not already evaporated. The birds we sprayed were for a guy working on lice for him PhD , its not normal pratice to spray birds when ringing so do not worry about it.

Edited by anser2