BMW 520d se 60 January 11

chady

Thanks.

It has one I just didn't see it when looking round the car.

Thx

Its an option, its normally in the boot on the left hand side.

They are all prepared with the wires though.

I've got a spare one somewhere that sometimes wouldn't select discs from my wifes old 3 series. Would work perfect for weeks then would act up for a day or two so she bought a new one. Can send it for some beer tokens as its just sat in a wardrobe somewhere.

Did it have full BMW history etc?

I had an early 2011 520d which popped the engine at 102k miles. Rough sounding for about 100 miles when I was on hols and then the big bang and nothing.

Good luck.

Thanks all I've spoke to BMW

It's going to cost me £70 a month!! It's a lot but covers everything! Has a £250 excess!

And emergency assistance is included so full recovery and home start etc and hire cars etc.

So £70 a month full piece of mind!

Over 5 years £4200

Or £60 a month without suspension and a few electrical components.

But we have got the cost down from £13999 to £13500 already.

I'm going to voice my concerns when I go and pick the car up and try and get them down to £13000

Then the car will have cost me £17000 over 5 years!

Which is the same if not a bit less than a 12 plate or a 530d.

And this way I have full recovery and 5 years warranty with main dealer!

So I think this is what we are going to do!

They can't all be dodgy!! It has had full BMW service history from the dealer it was bought from. And just a control box under warranty.

And BMW say there are no recall on this engine as its the n24T engine that stands for N24 technical update.

So with this and 42000mls on the clock I think it's the way to go.

And the garage seams to be genuine and honest.

See if I come back crying lol.

Walk away mate,what's the car going to be worth in 5 yrs £3-5k Edited by Davyo

Did it have full BMW history etc?

Yep. I got it new in Jan 11 and looked after it really well. Always serviced on time at the main BMW dealer and mainly used for longish journeys which explains the 102k in 3.5 years. Loved it. But didn't expect it to self-destruct at 102k miles. Was my 3rd 5 series and the previous ones were OK except one which handled like a pig...... but was assured that it 'was within spec'.

Walk away mate,what's the car going to be worth in 5 yrs £3-5k

Good advice and going back to an earlier question, YES, a 220cdi would be waaaaay more reliable. I put up star-ship mileage on one and it never missed a beat. They're about the best engine mercedes have ever put together, old ones as well as newer ones. You can buy one at 100K miles and not worry about the mileage as long as it was regularly serviced. Come time to replace, I switched to Lexus as I wanted something with a little more "go" and space, but I'd happily part with hard earned for a 220cdi again but wouldn't touch an N47 with a very VERY large barge-pole.

Well we've decided.

We have walked away!

It's two much of a risk. I will have the motor over 100k in 4 years!!

So an expensive lesson. £200 lesson. But you live and learn!!

It's a shame as there a lovely looking car to drive and looks. But to unreliable.

I think BMW have finally realised as I think all the new models coming out are having different engines! They seem to have changed them all on the whole range!

Hope these are better!

Who said Germans were good engineers lol

BMW have offered a free tensioner check on all N47 engines.

Thanks keg, I've been worrying about my 120k 318d ever since reading this thread but I've just contacted my local BMW dealer and they were straight on it. I've booked it in so and they will check and change the tensioner (and chain if needed) free of charge. :good:

They said it was a chain tensioner issue, in that it didn't have enough range to sufficiently tension a loose chain.