The Jam Spread

6.5x55SE

Following my success the other evening and a ear bashing from the Wife for not taking Conor ( grandson ) in spite of me saying it was a total fluke I took Conor to try for Duck and first Pheasant and whilst doing so Conor shouted GEESE.

Sure enough 12-15 Greylag went straight onto the field the 7 had fed on.So we gave up on the Duck and Pheasant and lined up to try for the Greylag going to roost at 7pm they lifted and headed ????????

Tonight again in spite of me saying it won't work I took Conor with 6 full body Decoys. Having set them out I instructed Conor to get in the clump of Bullrushes IF the Geese come whilst I park the truck let them come as its a one of chance.

I parked locked my truck turned to walk to Conor and could not believe my eyes the 12-15 Greylag crossed into the field then turned towards the Decoys. Thinking please go in sure enough they flared a Goose folds another shot a Goose stagers another shot this time the injured Goose folds.

I continued to walk to Conor watching the Geese go in a big loop and turn back Conor who had picked his Geese had seen them to quickly hid back in the Ditch.

I'd say the Greylag was a good 50yrd high showing no interest in the Decoys but was heading straight over Conor thinking Good lad for not shooting Bang the leading Goose folds stone dead.Proudly I walked to Conor thinking that was some shot for a inexperienced shooter.

After picking up we drove to walk up to a drain for Duck then back through a Beet field and try for his first Pheasant on reaching the Duck less drain Conor say's Grandad them Geese are coming sure enough straight at us but up a bit Conor say's you shoot I've got no Goose cartridges and I only had one 3.5 I had loaded to pattern use my gun but Conor would not we'll the home load patterned well as my single shot stuffed a Greylag.

My youngest Lab done a great retrieve from across the Drain walking back through the Beet field both smiling 60 yrd from I truck the dogs flushed a Cock Pheasant typical of fen Birds it went forward climbing then curling back Bang Conor first Pheasant folded What a evening

Smiler23 thanks

FB again thanks . Where I live I have shot one Goose in my whole life and never ever seen or heard of any where these Geese have been.

So for myself to get under the 7 which had come from a mile away was in my eyes very lucky to then see 12-15 come from a totally different direction then drop onto the same field was eye opening.

Conor's result tonight was mind blowing and for myself to shoot one trying to get his first Pheasant nearly a mile from where Conor had just shot his well hand on my heart I'm shocked.

I phoned my father who has lived and shot the fen all his life ( he is 78 ) his remark was you " jammy pair of ******** " best you go and do the Lottery.