Tell me why I need a 20g hushpower

Clydebuilt

OK gents, thanks for your advice re: the Investarm 20g Hushpower , I managed to find a 2013 model & it will arrive this week.

I've not got the facility for homeloading and to be honest, not much time in the near future, but I'd like to tap into your wealth of experience one more time.

I have been reading up a bit about carts, and unless i'm in cattle sheds and very near stables, I will prob leave the subsonic carts out of the equation for now, most of my work will be crows and some pigeons over decoys or walking around wooded areas.

The handiest gunshop to me only stocks Clever Mirage carts. I use them for game in my 12g but wondered if anyone have any experience with them in the hushpower?

They currently have 24gram loads in 4, 7,5 and 9, and 28 gram loads in 4,5,6,7.5 & 9

Was thinking of trying the 28's in 5 or 6 to see how they fare

I'm not sure if fibre or plastic wads will make a difference when rattling through the baffle? Does fibre leave more material after firing ?

I could use "justcartridges" if id be better using something like the Eley's, I read the Hy-Flyers were a good (I mean quiet and efficient) cartridge to use throught the Hushpower too.

Anyway, sorry for all the questions but some input, however small will be appreciated as before.

Cheers

I would definitely avoid plastic. The wads I have retrieved have been quite beaten up so something not good is going on there. For close work around barns you could probably get away with clay pigeon trainer loads such as Hull 23gram subsonic or Lyalvale magnasonic. At least they will demonstrate what you're missing out on noise wise and should be easy to source. Shame you're not closer I would have gladly given you a couple of boxes of Gamebore 30gram 5s to try. A cheap reloader would pay for itself in no time though and you would have an optimum cartridge for the gun.

Out of curiosity when I was roost shooting today I tried a 28gram Eley CT fibre and a Lyalvale 28gram fibre as second barrel shots to compare against the subsonic homeloads in the first. Firing up out of a wood into clear blue sky the CT seemed about the same as the subs but the Lyalvale cartridge seemed snappier. Of course firing towards a solid object that the sound can bounce back off might yield different results but maybe this points towards the Eley High Fliers as at least worth trying as they are probably of a similar ilk to the CT's

Some good advice on here, I've found eley high flyer a good "quiet"cartridge in the investarm hushpower, local shop sells saga gold 28g, they are punchy but noisier.

I agree with mr sitsinhedges the gamebore are probably the best all round, during this years harvest I simply used fibre clay loads for decoying and they did the job.

Just an update on the carts I tried a few days ago, only two types were available:

Eley Grand Prix 25gram #6 fibre were extremely quiet & when used on a few clays, they really dusted them, soft on the shoulder too

Clever mirage 24gram #7.5 plastic..only tried a handful but noticeably louder and snappier too but dusted the clays I managed to hit

Have bough a few boxes of the Grand Prix's to get me going

The Hushpower bug has bitten again though..picked up a pedretti .410 husher this week for some vermin control, need to try a few carts through that now too

Guest cookoff013

The other shells are snappy because the speed and the noise is gas excessive for the moderator.

I can tell you now, reload and get the finest shells available.

As the 20 is hard to source decent subs, reload.

12s are wonderful with great chunky slow loads.

I see what you are saying cookoff, having read plenty from sitsinhedges regarding the great performance of homeloads, it does get you thinking.

I'm not sure I've got the time for it all tbh, however, if I start getting into the 000's of cartridges used over a season then I'll re-think the reloading route.