clay shooting grounds

peter-peter

Coniston - first class. Targets, food, organisation, parking.

Manchester (Worsley) and Kelbrook - poor targets and the dreaded Claycounter. Won't be using either again.

Greetlands - Small club, but good targets. Worth a visit.

Peter - make the effort - visit Eddie Threlfall's shoot at Rishton. Brilliant food, good targets and nice people. Just off motorway as well.

Manchester (Worsley) and Kelbrook - poor targets and the dreaded Claycounter. Won't be using either again.

Peter - make the effort - visit Eddie Threlfall's shoot at Rishton. Brilliant food, good targets and nice people. Just off motorway as well.

where abouts is rishton like to give it a whirl.

Rishton is very easy to find, every Sunday at 11am i think, Gordon will confirm the time for you.

Junction 7 M65 (Iam persuming your going northbound). First exit of the slip road, down the dual carraige way, turn left at the lights, continue down the road as it twists and turns, You will start to climb, as you do you will see the road narrows and there is a 30MPH sign, take your right before the sign, along the side of the houses, go down that road and its sign posted. It is 2 minutes from the junction and be warned, the Police speed check on the corner and you cant see them before they see you.

Rishton is very easy to find, every Sunday at 11am i think, Gordon will confirm the time for you.

Junction 7 M65 (Iam persuming your going northbound). First exit of the slip road, down the dual carraige way, turn left at the lights, continue down the road as it twists and turns, You will start to climb, as you do you will see the road narrows and there is a 30MPH sign, take your right before the sign, along the side of the houses, go down that road and its sign posted. It is 2 minutes from the junction and be warned, the Police speed check on the corner and you cant see them before they see you.

many thanks oozel I'll prob give it a whirl a fortnight on sunday

where abouts is rishton like to give it a whirl.

many thanks for the reply gordon i'll give rishton a go in a couple of weeks.

iv'e visited kelbrook fer the last 3 tuesdays after a 2 year lay off due to bad access and targets.

I must admit the road in is now perfect.

and the targets where realy good .

have you tried greystone wood its on my website, it is without a doubt the best one I use.

next shoot is this saturday at 12.00

its a 60 mile round trip for me and worth every mile

I do not agree that Kelbrook has poor targets. I find thats when it's busy you might have to wait a few seconds for someone else's clays to disapear from your vision but that is not a problem.

Regarding clay counters,what is wrong with them, unless you like to have a few extra goes on a stand that you might have struggled with,the only difference is that you now have to pay for them,instead of stealing them!

I do not like the system at Coniston where everything is shot in 25's.

I much prefer a 100 bird shoot.

Blackpool is a good shoot.It's a bit flat but the clays put on are good.

Worsley is a bit of a trail for me and I do not think that the layouts are changed often enough.

Blaser - I don't take extra birds and steal from no-one. Your comment was, at best, silly. If you have clay counters you are paying to have a look at the birds. Although you might get a breakage allowance, it rarely covers breakages. We went to Worsley some months ago - clay counters. On three stands we could not see the targets as they flew into the sun. We wasted a fair number before deciding not to shoot them.

Kelbrook has a large ground - I fail to se why any clay from a neighbouring stand should enter your field of vision. It's just poor target setting.

If I remember correctly there are three stands at Worsley that can be affected by the sun at about 11.00 am

You only have to let one clay go to realise that it is impossible to shoot it.

If you have three stands that is only six clays.

Most of the time you have to wait while someone else shoots so you don't need to bother looking at a pair as you will have seen plenty.

You are allowed 10% at most grounds so I cannot see a problem with the Claymate system at all.

If you talk to the owners you will be told stories of shooters claiming to have only shot 50 birds but have used five boxes of cartridges to do so.

Not everyboby is honest!

Kelbrook could be a very dangerous place if it was not for the bushes that abound there.

If you can imagine the ground minus the foliage,50% of the stands would have to go. Just have a good think next time you go,that if it wasn't for the trees how many guns would be pointing your way.

I believe this is why it lost it's registered status with the CPSA.

The variety of clays that are put on in that relatively small piece of land are good.

I use to like Coniston,but the system that they have is not for me.

You book in at one stand then walk to the far end of the wood and if you are very lucky you might be able to shoot. If there is another squad there you could have a half hour wait.

After shooting your 25 birds you then walk all the way back to book on again you are then given a card to go on the stand which is past the one that you have already shot!

If you are licky you might get to shoot on the stand behind the clubhouse.

No sorry it's not my cup of tea.

It's a real shame that Coniston does not want to change it's format as it could be the best ground in the north. If it would only put about 12 or 13 stands on instead of it's compak type layout,it would be the place to go.

There is a small clay shoot in the village of Lupton on the A65 close to junction 36 on the M6.

It is at Crabtree Farm which is a turn off opposite the Plough pub, Its on the left if you come off the m/way or on the right if you come Skipton way.

This is open on a Saturday from 12.00-15.00. Fibre wad only. £7.50 for 50 clays auto.traps "with no counters" and free tea :good:

It's a good shoot on a farm with easy acsess.

Blaser - it sounds very simple when you say that only three stands at Worsley faced the sun. Firstly, it is stupid having any at all going in to the sun. Secondly, you cite that only one pair was wasted at each stand. Not true. At one stand we sent four pairs before we saw any. They could have been breakages, but our guess was that we never saw them because of their flight path. Defend them if you will, but I have shot clays all over the country for nearly 30 years and they are the most stupid I have come accross.

"I do not agree that Kelbrook has poor targets. I find thats when it's busy you might have to wait a few seconds for someone else's clays to disapear from your vision but that is not a problem".

"If you can imagine the ground minus the foliage,50% of the stands would have to go. Just have a good think next time you go,that if it wasn't for the trees how many guns would be pointing your way".

I am struggling to reconcile these two statements.

Blaser - I will call a halt to our battle of wits. Your comments about stealing clays irritated me. I have never had an extra one for practice - I would regard that as cheating. I am happy to pay for what I shoot, not for what the ground owner has made it impossible to see. I might give Lupton a try. Which Saturdays is it on?

Blaser - I will call a halt to our battle of wits. Your comments about stealing clays irritated me. I have never had an extra one for practice - I would regard that as cheating. I am happy to pay for what I shoot, not for what the ground owner has made it impossible to see. I might give Lupton a try. Which Saturdays is it on?

where's lupton gordon

Hey up,

Grid reference 817556 sheet 97.

If you are coming from below Junction 36 on the M6 leave the m/way at 36 and go right to join the A65 and head for Kirby Lonsdale.

Very soon you pass through Nook which will lead you to Lupton this a 40mph road so you have plenty of time to see the Plough Inn which is on your right.

Directley opposite the pub on the left is a road leading to Crabtree farm.

You need to take the last exit on the right and the track leads to the shoot.

It has a good surface so you don't need a 4x4.

If you are coming from Skipton way don't forget to turn right at the pub.

There are pathways laid out but if it is wet a pair of boots will not go amiss.

Hey up,

Grid reference 817556 sheet 97.

If you are coming from below Junction 36 on the M6 leave the m/way at 36 and go right to join the A65 and head for Kirby Lonsdale.

Very soon you pass through Nook which will lead you to Lupton this a 40mph road so you have plenty of time to see the Plough Inn which is on your right.

Directley opposite the pub on the left is a road leading to Crabtree farm.

You need to take the last exit on the right and the track leads to the shoot.

It has a good surface so you don't need a 4x4.

If you are coming from Skipton way don't forget to turn right at the pub.

There are pathways laid out but if it is wet a pair of boots will not go amiss.

[/quote

many thanks all it is a long way out for me but i will keep it on record for when I am up in that area