OAL measuring

OK then, which method do you use to determine the correct seating for your rifle/brass/bullet and let us know why. The reason I ask is I have seen several methods and I think I know which I shall be using, but I`d like some input from you lot......just to confuse me more :D

I made up a dummy round (no primer/powder) seated the bullet as far out as possible then chambered the round, the bullet was pushed back into the case, i took a measurement and then set my seating die a few thou deeper than the round i took out of the chamber. My OAL is 2.25 for my .222 using 50grn Nosler Ballistic tips.

I will use the same method with my .270 :D:)

I use an RCBS Precision Mic. It seems good enough for my purposes to get good headspace and seating depth consistency. However, I find their plastic seating depth tool useless in my rifle. The bolt will not grip it for extraction and it does not give a good reading as a result. For this section of the process I have cut a slit with a Dremmel in a used/sized case and shove a bullet of the design I am reloading (currently 75gr A-MAX in .223) at excessive length into the cut case. I chamber it, extract it and measure the length to the ogive with the RCBS tool in the Precision Mic kit. I do this several times to ensure I have an accurate reading before setting the seating die up. It works well and I am having average groups of 0.580" with 75gr A-MAX, 24.2gr Varget, Lapua Match brass and CCI 400 primers.