Essex SGC Renewal.

Brodie

Hi All

My SGC runs out a couple of days before Christmas.

I sent the renewal application in early October and my cheque was immediately cashed so I'm expecting a temp. cert to be issued to cover their delays.

Anyone know when I can expect to receive the temp cert. I don't want to hassle them un-necessarily but don't want to find myself with a problem two days before Christmas.

Thanks.

Thanks for your replies.

I did receive the temp cert today. Unfortunately, they are so far behind with paperwork that the temp cert did not detail the guns I own at present - they are at least two months behind processing transfers.

I have phoned today and been advised a new temp cert will have to be issued as I am only permitted to possess the guns listed.

Taken from their website (and it's probably about right from what I have heard):

Renewal of a firearm or shot gun certificate (including variation to acquire additional firearms)

16 weeks (from the date of the expiry of the previous certificate). Please note: a temporary permit will be issued which will last for 6 months from the expiry of the old certificate. This will cover the certificate holder during the renewal process.

I have today written to Nick Alston, the PCC for Essex expressing my disgust at the poor service we shooters receive from our police service.

I have pointed out the restrictions on a temp. cert. such as being able to possess only the guns listed on the certificate. A bit like being given a replacement driving licence that only allows you to drive whatever car you own at the moment - tough luck if you need to change it or borrow one.

Doubt it will do much good but I feel the need to do something.

What are the shooting organisations doing our behalf?

I have just worked out the figures for the revenue generated by certificate grants and renewals for both shotguns and firearms as well as firearms variations for the 2014/2015 period. I got the figures from the gov website and used the latest prices.

It works out for one year an income of £162034.