Gun Noise CD

dannyboy

Hi Guys, when I was out shooting on Monday someone mentioned to me that they had used a CD with shooting noise etc on it to introduce their pup to gun fire.

Just wondering if anyone else had done this and would recommend a particular CD to use ?

Cheers,

Dan

Edited by dannyboy

You can get fireworks ones that I know

But to be fair there are better established ways of introducing a gundog to gunfire

Is it a particular issue you have with thid dog?

Puppy? Take normal steps remember too early and bangs can do lasting physical harm

Sometimes the old ways are the best " as in skyfall "

Edited by kent

Hi Dan, with my dogs I always started buy putting their food bowls down with a bit of a bang, then clapping while they were eating their food increasingly louder. I then moved on to a cap gun from a distance while they were eating moving closer and closer.

I always did it while they were eating so they associated the noise with something good.

Im no expert but this has always worked for me.

Paul.

Hi Dan, with my dogs I always started buy putting their food bowls down with a bit of a bang, then clapping while they were eating their food increasingly louder. I then moved on to a cap gun from a distance while they were eating moving closer and closer.I always did it while they were eating so they associated the noise with something good. Im no expert but this has always worked for me. Paul.

Paul I must say that's first class advise, have you been watching me all these years to have picked that up, it's simple and works that's what's important.

Regards.

E.W.

The CDs are called Starfire, I've never used them but that's the name if you want to look them up.

A pup in a busy home and, critically, not being pandered to when it exhibits any kind of fear will generally grow up to have confidence in you and be well balanced and therefore easy to introduce to new noises and situations.

Thanks, I am not too worried he's a bold pup, not been scared of anything so far. Also, can sometimes hear the clay range in the garden.

I just thought it seemed like not a bad idea, wondered about the name of the CD so I will have a look.

Planning to take him back to the breeder and put him in the back of the truck with his mum dad and sister, and shoot a few clays with the .410 to get him used to it.