cleaning gear

roadkill

Good day all,

I have bought a 17hmr today and would like to know what cleaning gear i need?

So far i have ordered a parker hale cleaning rod

bore guide.

Now time for the brushes, how many and what kinds do i need? Do i do one for copper removal first and then does the other remove the carbon?

any help on what i need would be great also would i need a snake bore

jamie

Carbon comes out with brake cleaner and the boreshine and g96 removes copper. Just keep going untill you don't any blue patches after cleaning. One of my rifles takes 10 passes the other 30. Let it soak in 10 min between patches.

The nylon brush is for use with the cleaning product. If you use the copper brush with it the bristles deteriorate.

Just use a jag/cleaning rod with a boreguide, make or buy some cleaning patches and buy a bottle of Wipeout which de-fouls (removes powder residue) and de-coppers (saving buying separate bore cleaning chemicals) plus it contains a corrosion inhibitor. One bottle will likely last the life of the rifle. Patch on, leave 20 minutes, dry patch out.

Other than that, a small bottle of general gun lube to clean and coat moving parts, a stiff nylon camber brush and that's all you really need. With Wipeout you don't need to use brass/bronze bristle brushes so I wouldn;t personally bother with those as more people just end up scrubbing through and damaging the crown with repeated use of the brush. Enthusiastic over cleaning often does more harm than good. Carefully and properly de-fouling and de-coppering every 75 rounds or do is all you ever need to do with an HMR.