Advice on breaking in new rifle

dunnin21

Hi, just ordered and new anschutz 1517 in .17 hmr. This is the furst new rifle i have owned, question is do i have ro break barrel in and how should i do it ? Also what should i clean with as i have bisley bore clearn for shot gun not sure if compatible any adive appreciated thanks

There are mixed views about this, but I break in ALL new barrels, even the .22lr with subs and lead bullets.

The way I look at it you are never going to do any harm, and the odds are you may do some good.

There are many tips on the web how to go about it.

Some will say they never bother, so its up to you, all I know is all my rifles work.

ATB!

I break in all new barrels it can't do any harm and I believe it does some good.

Fire 1 clean 5 times

Fire 5 clean 5 times

I zero my scope as I go so it's ammo I had to fire as I went along anyway.

+1

Just completed shooting in two new barrels (centrefire). Shoot one, clean one as above until when cleaning using Wipeout, no blue is seen on the patch, indicating that no copper sulphate is present (ie barrel hasn't coppered). Did the same for 5 shots intervals. After 5 or 6 of those, no blue seen on .308 but there was some bluing of the .223, so another few 5 shot groups, cleaned in between.

I'll continue with this regime upping cleaning to every 15 shots for three or four sets of 15, then just use as normal.

As Welshy says, can't do any harm and was recommended to me by HPS precision rifles who re-barrelled one of my rifles. One of the beauties of using Wipeout is that you don't need to put a brass brush anywhere near your barrel! The very occasional scrub with a nylon brush is all that's needed.

Personally, I found with the HMR, despite web-based folklore, it needed to be kept clean. It's a tiny calibre so any fouling or coppering build up affects it faster than larger cals, seen by groups only pulling together as the barrel heats up with use (barrel expands) pointing towards coppering being the issue. I cleaned mine after every outing (just a quick run through with bore cleaner) and every 50 to 75 rounds, de-coppered the barrel. It stayed accurate.

Edited by Savhmr

I used that wipe in and out stuff,try a bronze brush up your barrel when you think it's clean and try patching through again. It wasn't clean. Now It may be down to a couple of my rifles being well used but my new stainless one cleaned ok with it. Boreshine is my favourite, then g96. Yet to try the foresters bore foam.