Pre-cleaning a Maxus

Bletch

Hi

Sorry my first post is a question.

I bought a new Browning Maxus, first semi-auto for me. The manual tells me to clean off the protection film before first use and to lightly oil, but its a bit vague about exactly what needs cleaning. I have watched a few videos on how to break the gun down but just need advice on what to do.

Thanks

When I bought my new Maxus it had little, if any, protective coating. Perhaps it had been on display at the shop and they had cleaned it. If it shows no signs of an oil or the like then just plough on and use it. I normally just run over the outside with a gun cleaning cloth before taking it out of the house.

Thanks, the gun has been at the dealer in a cabinet for a while so they may have already cleaned it.

Don't oil the gas valve or mag tube as the oil burns onto the metal and turns to carbon, marks the metal of the mag tube and is an absolute bitch to clean. Always run the gas valve dry as its then only a powderry residue that you have to clean off and lube the bolt block where the two parts slide over eachother and lube the slide rails in the action run the rest dry.

Edited by figgy