labrador collie cross

mattyg1086

Seen some advertised beautiful markings but would they be ok for a bit of rough/pigeon shooting and beating

There are enough proper gundog pups out there so why risk it ? I would say there is a possibility you would end up with a hyper active dog with a hard mouth !

If you look at a labrador/springer cross you have two gundogs in the mix, so you have as good a chance as any that you will end up with a good gundog.

With a collie/labrador cross it is more of a risk as the collie could dominate the mix which is not a natural gundog breed.

You could end up with a brilliant intelligent gundog or a disaster, why take the risk.

The purchase price of a dog is usually the cheapest part of owning a dog over the 14 or so years you will have it.

They are from a farm near me. Im looking for a lab but these are available it will be my first gundog and my thinking was they are both working dogs so would they be ok for the very average shooter(me)

But the work that is asked of a collie is totally different to that asked of a gun dog.

If you want a gun dog then buy a gun dog or it will more than likely end in disaster .